GPS Lat/Long EXIF write precision.

Started by Dallas, March 22, 2018, 10:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dallas

I have successfully used the command line exiftool to write GPS lat and long to my photos exif data but when I use the decimal degree format I can only get 6 decimal places written for GPSLatitude and GPSLongitude.  We have cm level accuracy on all of our camera nodal points (we are surveyors) and truncating to 6 decimal places is degrading our position.  Latitude expressed to 6 decimal places where I live is around 0.1 meters.  I need at least 7 and preferably 8 decimal places.

Is there a way to increase the precision when writing GPSLatitude and GPSLongitude to my photos exif data?

StarGeek

Use the -n option to extract the full decimal number written to the file.  Also look at the -c option for more control over the output.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Dallas

Thanks StarGeek!  When I view the photo exif data using -n all the precision I need is indeed there.  My photogrammetry software is also rounding to 6 decimal places and I thought that exiftool was not  writing all the information from my survey control.  But it is!

Thanks again!  Fantastic tool...