dateTimeOriginal is missing Time

Started by LisainIL, March 23, 2018, 02:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LisainIL

I have some .jpgs that have a dateTimeOriginal but the time is missing.  It looks like this:
DSC05177.JPG has date 2016:12:25 20:00:42
DSC05180.JPG has date 2016:12:25 20:01:22
DSC05189.JPG has date 2016:12:25
DSC05190.JPG has date 2016:12:25
DSC05192.JPG has date 2016:12:25
DSC05193.JPG has date 2016:12:25
IMG_4459.JPG has date 2016:12:25 14:45:31
IMG_4463.JPG has date 2016:12:25 14:46:34

I'd like to search for these and update the time, but I can't use  -if "not $datetimeoriginal" - it doesn't work because the field is filled in.

Any ideas on how to search for .jpgs that are missing the time?

Thanks!
Lisa

StarGeek

Try this (on mobile so I it may need some tweaks)
-if "not $DateTimeOriginal=~/\d{4}:\d\d:\d\d \d\d:\d\d:\d\d/"
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

LisainIL

Thanks for responding.  That didn't work, though.  I'm trying to decipher what might be wrong about it, but I need to research what you're doing there...

LisainIL

Actually hold on, I ran that on the wrong directory!  I'll try it again and report back!  SORRY!!

LisainIL

YAY!  It looks like it worked.  Thank you!  The expression didn't look wrong to me so I was really stumped at why it didn't work the first time!  I forgot I had changed the directory I was in and that directory had no incorrect dateTimeOriginal stamps!

StarGeek

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

LisainIL

Thank you so much... maybe you can help me with the next step....
Now that I can search for all the files that are missing the time.  How can I update JUST the time?

In other words, assume I have a folder filled with .jpgs that all have different DateTimeOriginal but are all missing the time.  I want to leave the date part of the DateTimeOriginal in tact, but I just want to update the time to "something", 14:00:00 for instance.  Is there an easy way to do this? Something like:
"-DateTimeOriginal<DateTimeOriginal 14:00:00" (which didn't work).

StarGeek

Very, very close. Try
"-DateTimeOriginal<$DateTimeOriginal 14:00:00"

LisainIL

That worked!  Thank you! 
Next question:
I have a directory named 2018, within that multiple directories naming based on the date and some description like:
2018.01.03 Snow Storm

I want to recurse the 2018 directory looking for any file named "img_1597 amb.jpg" in any directory (also using the -if from earlier in the post) and print some info.  (Then I'll use the same thing to change the info.  But first I want to just *view* it to make sure the command is not hitting the wrong files.)  So I tried this:

exiftool -p "$dateTimeOriginal $filepath" -q -f  -if "not $DateTimeOriginal=~/\d{4}:\d\d:\d\d \d\d:\d\d:\d\d/" -r "img_1597 amb.jpg"

That didn't work.

StarGeek

Unfortunately, I'm stuck using Mobile, so it's hard for me to respond, but take a look at this previous answer.

https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php/topic,8096.msg41445.html#msg41445

LisainIL

No worries, it's not urgent by any means. 
I did look at that thread and I had started down that path at one point... using another "-if ".  I probably was just doing it wrong.  I'll give it another go.
Thanks!

Phil Harvey

You can test the $filename in the -if statement, but that won't be very efficient since ExifTool will extract metadata from all files.  It would be better to use something like the Mac/Unix "find" utility to find the file, then pass that name to ExifTool.

You can't use the -fast3 as in the other thread if you want to extract actual metadata from the file.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).