-copy1:PreviewImage or -MPImage2 ?

Started by herb, April 07, 2018, 06:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

herb

Hello Phil,

In post https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php/topic,5258.msg25482.html we discussed some details about MPF tags and MPImage(s) and I learned to extract the embedded MPF-images with
exiftool -b -PreviewImage       -w <image1>.jpg  MPFImage.jpg
exiftool -b -Copy1:PreviewImage -w <image2>.jpg  MPFImage.jpg

All is working fine.
But when I use -MPImage2 to extract the embedded image I have no success.

From post https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php/topic,8681.msg44553.html I get the impression that orionr (he posted the topic) does export embedded MPF-images with
exiftool -b -MPImage2       -w <image1>.jpg  MPFImage.jpg
As orionr did not attach the original image, I cannot perform tests.
But I have a question in general:
When can/must -Copy1:Previewimage be used to extract MPF images and when can/must -MPImage2 be used?

Thanks for your help in advance
Best regards
Herb

Phil Harvey

Hi Herb,

The first large MPF thumbnail is extracted as PreviewImage.  If there is another preview image elsewhere in the file, then this may be Copy1:PreviewImage, but since ExifTool 10.38 this may be extracted as MPF:PreviewImage.  MPImage2 may exist if there are images other than the large thumbnail in the MPF metadata.

I hope this answers the question.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

herb

Hello Phil,

thanks for your quick reply.
With -PreviewImage and also with -MPF:PreviewImage I can really extract the "PreviewImage". This is new to me.

I hope not to annoy you, when I ask whether somebody can share an image that contains a real MPImage2.

Thanks again and
Best regards
Herb

Phil Harvey

Hi Herb,

Sorry for the delay in responding.  Any MPO image should have an MPImage2 (or MPImage3, ...).  If you can't find a sample, send me an email and I'll send one to you.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

herb

Hello Phil,

thanks for your reply and thanks for your offer to send me such an image.
Your comment to look for *.mpo images was help enough. In  meantime I found such images searching the internet.

Thanks again and
Best regards
Herb