MacOS Tags - combining Text and existing info from other Tag?

Started by thetrickster, June 02, 2018, 03:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetrickster

I'm currently working to see how I can extract some camera information (ISO, White Balance etc) from the MOV file and add MacOS finder tags to the file

So far I have this working:
exiftool "-MDItemUserTags<ISO"  P1000001.MOV
exiftool "-MDItemUserTags+<WhiteBalance"  P1000001.MOV

This proceeds to add two Finder tags to the file, one being '400' and the other 'Manual' which is great. However ideally I would like to prefix the values with meaning for titles for example 'ATA400' and 'WB-Manual' or something along those lines

Looking online and the documentation I 'think' something like this should work:

exiftool "-MDItemUserTags=ATA <${ISO}" P1000001.MOV
exiftool "-MDItemUserTags+=WB_<${WhiteBalance}" P1000001.MOV

But after a couple of hours I'm lost

Anyone?

Phil Harvey

Close.  Try this:

exiftool "-MDItemUserTags<ATA${ISO}" "-MDItemUserTags<WB${WhiteBalance}" P1000001.MOV

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

thetrickster

Thanks (very much!) for the reply Phil

I've tried what you've suggested (even just the first part to set the ATA aspect), however and its coming back with:

(Code used)
exiftool "-MDItemUserTags<ATA${ISO}" /Users/Richard/Desktop/P1000001.MOV

Warning: No writable tags set from P1000001.MOV
0 image files updated
1 image files unchanged

Phil Harvey

Ah. You're on Mac.  You need to use single quotes instead of double quotes.  (See my signature.)

But you'll also get this message if ISO doesn't exist in the file.  Use exiftool -s FILE to see the available tags.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).