Problem writing -xmp-dc:creator

Started by gobispo, August 07, 2018, 07:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobispo

Hello all,

This is my first post so, thank you very much in advance.
   I have this problem writing the XMP tag creator and couldn't find how to fix it in this forum or any other place.
   I hope you could help me.

I received a file with this value for the XMP tag creator (I don't know how this tag was written):
> exiftool -xmp-dc:creator image.jpg
Creator                         : Photographer

So I try to change it
> exiftool -xmp-dc:creator="Test" image.jpg
    1 image files updated

And if I check it, everything seem to be ok:
> exiftool -xmp-dc:creator image.jpg
Creator                         : Test

However, when I go to Adobe Bridge Metadata, at the IPTC Core Creator tag it still reads the old value: "Photographer"

Is there anything that I might be doing wrong? I've done this same thing with some other files and it worked perfectly.
   Moreover, if I overwrite this value in Adobe Bridge and then I use Exiftool, then it works right too...

Saludos,
   Willy.

Phil Harvey

Hi Willy,

If you run ExifTool on the edited file is the old "Photographer" value anywhere to be found?  If so, where?:

exiftool -G1 -a FILE

I would think it must be hiding somewhere else because the only other possibility would be that Bridge is caching the metadata, but I don't think it does that.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Check IPTC:By-Line.  Bridge will give priority to IPTC:By-Line over XMP:Creator.  If not that, check EXIF:Artist
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Stephen Marsh

In Bridge, you can indeed contextually click on the file and select the "Purge cache for selection" option... Or Tools menu > Cache > Purge cache for... which will clear the cache for current directory. Bridge usually needs "refreshing" if a third party tool has played with the metadata while Bridge is open and viewing the same asset. You can also select the trouble file and use File > File Info, then go to the raw data tab to check out the xmp metadata in the file, which may or may not give you a clue on where the data is.

gobispo

Quote from: StarGeek on August 07, 2018, 12:47:09 PM
Check IPTC:By-Line.  Bridge will give priority to IPTC:By-Line over XMP:Creator.  If not that, check EXIF:Artist.

Exactly! That solved the think. I knew i was being soooo newbie :)
Thanks to Phil and Stephen for their answers too!