Copying IPTC metadata from one image to another with same name

Started by Akaz, October 01, 2020, 10:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akaz

Hi,

I am very new to this tool. Please consider me as a layman.

I have a batch of low resolution images which contain metadata information like title, description and keywords.
I am have another batch of high resolution images with same name but no metadata information.

I want to batch copy those title description and keywords from low resolution images to the high resolution images.

Like I have abc.jpg (low res with metadata) in one folder and same name abc.jpg (high res without metadata)..... And I want to copy them easily.

I hope explained it properly.

Please consider me as a nerd and explain me each steps in easy way.
As said I am very new to the tool and have never used it before.

StarGeek

The basic command would be something like
exiftool -TagsFromFile /path/to/lowres/%F -IPTC:All -XMP:All /path/to/hires/

Here I set it to copy both the IPTC IIM/Legacy and the XMP tags, which would be IPTC Core.  If there are subdirectories, that would take some additional work.

Add -P (preserve) option to preserve the FileDateModified on the hires files.  This command will create backup files.  To suppress this, add the -overwrite_original option.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Akaz

Thanks for the reply.

I am totally lost here. I don't know how to use exiftool. Where to use the command. I have downloaded the tool but I am very new to it.

Can you please guide me each steps. It will be very kind of you, please.

I have files here:
C:\lowres
C:\highres

Further what do you mean by " If there are subdirectories, that would take some additional work."

StarGeek

Start by reading over the stickied thread, Getting started: Command-line ExifTool in Windows.  You might want to google search for some tutorials on the command line as well.

The command I listed assumed there would not be any files in subdirectories.  If you wanted to recurse into subdirectories, the command would be more complex.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).