GPS info from MP4 file

Started by kebab123, September 08, 2019, 01:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kebab123

here i go again with another problem, i tried exiftool -a "-gps*" -ee plus the file and nothing happens

StarGeek

Either the file doesn't have GPS data or it's in a format that exiftool doesn't know about.  If you're certain it has data and can make a small sample file available, Phil might take a look at it.  But at the moment, he's on vacation and won't be back until late September so it will be a while.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

kebab123

im not sure that it has GPS info, but it was taken with an Apple, so it should have, right?

StarGeek

It probably depends upon the app that took it and if it's been processed by any other program.  But I would think that if it was taken by a default Apple app, that exiftool would already be able to decode it, since that would be a common sample. 

You can hit the "Notify" button in the upper right corner of this thread if you want to get an email in case there's an official response from Phil when he get's back.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

I don't recall seeing any Apple devices that store streaming GPS

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).