Wish: ExifTool could accept a second value of 60 in .gpx

Started by tml, September 13, 2016, 12:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tml

When reading a .gpx file produced by the "MotionX-GPS" iOS app, exiftool usually complains "Warning: Second '60' out of range 0..59 in File:Geotag (ValueConvInv)" and proceeds to ignore the whole track file. And indeed, some of the entries in such .gpx files do have slightly bogus time elements like <time>2016-09-08T05:34:60.000Z</time>. Sure, that should probably be seen as a bug in the MotionX-GPS app, and it is of course trivial to manually edit that to for instance <time>2016-09-08T05:34:59.999Z</time> or <time>2016-09-08T05:35:00.000Z</time>, but it would be nice if ExifTool could do such a fixup automatically.

Phil Harvey

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately ExifTool is using the standard C date/time functions for converting times, and it is this library that is returning the error, so patching ExifTool to apply an automatic fix may be more work than it is worth.  :(

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

FreddyJ

FYI, I had the same experience with rtkpost version 1.0.0.0 from Emlid, maker of the Reach RTK GNSS... I recently produced a series of 15 GPX files using rtkpost to geocode images using exiftool. One of the GPX files brought from exiftool the error message "Warning: Second '60' out of range 0..59 in File:Geotag (ValueConvInv)" and encoded none of the 200 targeted images. The only workaround I found was manually editing the GPX file... I've posted this experience on the Emlid forum.

Phil Harvey

JFIF and EXIF use different numerical values for the same ResolutionUnit meaning.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).