Use ExifTool with enabled AppLocker

Started by hanshupe, December 20, 2022, 09:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hanshupe

I am not allowed to run exe files on my workstation. Is there any way to use ExifTool, e.g. by using a dll or some Python library?

StarGeek

If you have access to Perl, then you can install the Perl version easily enough.  Assuming a Windows environment, download the main archive, the one that says "Download Version 12.52 (4.9 MB) - Dec. 6, 2022", rename the file "exiftool" to "exiftool.pl" and make sure the "Image-ExifTool-12.52" directory is added to the path.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

hanshupe

Thanks for the quick reply. I found out that the problem is actually that a cache file is created in the user folder (CACHE-EXIFTOOL-12.52\EXIFTOOL.EXE), which cannot be accessed.

Is there a parameter to disable the creation of the cache folder, or a relocation to another directory?

hanshupe

Setting the environment variable PAR_GLOBAL_TEMP was the solution. Thx.

StarGeek

You might also try Oliver Betz alternative exiftool build.  It runs exiftool differently and often works in these situations.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).