For few .nef and .dng files height and width are returned interchangeably.

Started by sruthi.inampudi, August 26, 2021, 06:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sruthi.inampudi

For few of the customer images, exiftool is  height and width metadata are returned interchangeably.
Attaching the sample outputs generated from exiftool for both dng and nef files. Also attaching snapshots of the actual height and values captured from windows explorer.

As the images are customer images i cannot share the original images in the public forum here. Please let me know if i can share the files in some other secure way which can only be seen by exiftool team.

StarGeek

The key tag here is
Orientation                     : Rotate 270 CW

All images taken by a camera are in landscape mode, wider than they are tall.  The camera senses what its orientation is and writes that into the Orientation tag.  In this case the camera recognizes that it was sideways when the picture was taken, meaning the image needs to be in portrait mode.

Windows reads this tag, recognizes that the images will be rotated upon display, and swaps the values appropriately.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

sruthi.inampudi

I also tried running the below imagemagick command to extract height and width.Even in that case output is different from exiftool output
C:\Assets\Images\nef>magick OriginalAsset.nef -format "%wx%h" info:
Output : 2868x4312

Exiftool Output is as below:
Image Width                     : 4320
Image Height                    : 2868

Please let me know if required i can share the file.

Phil Harvey

You should also pay attention to Orientation as StarGeek mentioned.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).