Delete thumbnail sized images from Apple Photos library

Started by kkaiser, March 09, 2021, 03:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkaiser

After many years of changing from iPhoto to Photos on a variety of Mac's my Photos library has thousands of old thumbnail sized images in it. I recently moved small(er) images to another file outside of the Photos app like this.
exiftool -if '$ImageWidth<=240 and  $ImageHeight<=180' '-directory=/Volumes/Photos by Year/photos-by-year/Small' '/Volumes/Photos by Year/photos-by-year/2019-D/'
But I'm not sure how or if I can do the equivalent from the Photos App. What changes do I need to make to my code to make this work?

Phil Harvey

I don't know what happens if you start messing with the files in the Photos App library folder.  It probably won't like it.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

wywh

You risk corrupting the Photos library by making modifications behind the app's back. Make good backups if you do that.

Or export all files out and re-import them to a new library. ...sadly currently Photos.app 6.0 export has some bugs that must be worked around (re-encoded .jpeg export omits Titles and Descriptions (works in .tif and .png export), .jpg suffix is converted to .jpeg, exporting originals with .xmp sidecars have GPS reference wrong so all go to north and east unless tagsFromFile is modified).