How do I find an old version of ExifTool?

Started by Jacqui Sunderland-Groves, March 10, 2021, 10:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacqui Sunderland-Groves

Hi all! I am implementing a camera trap survey using Reconyx Hyperfire 2 cameras. I am trying to extract all Time Lapse images from one station. Every time I run the R code I am using to do this, it tells me I am using ExifTool version 11.22, even though I have downloaded the most recent version of ExifTool and I have deleted all other earlier versions from my Mac. I am also running VMWare fusion so I can run PC software on my Mac, though I have deleted any files related to ExifTool that were on that also. Any help would be so much appreciated!

Phil Harvey

In a Terminal window (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app), type "exiftool -ver"

If this shows 11.22, then type "which exiftool"

This will show the path to the version you are running.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Jacqui Sunderland-Groves

Thank you so much Phil!

I have done this and it reports 12.21 which is great. But when I try to run the R code again it still reports 11.22

> action <- "extract"
> library(exifr)
Using ExifTool version 11.22
>

I am baffled! Any further advice would be amazing, thank you!

StarGeek

Is there some sort of .ini or config file for the package?  If so, examine that to see what path it might be using to call exiftool.

Maybe search the system for a file from the exiftool code.  For example, see if you have ExifTool.pm located in another location.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

This is a question for the person responsible for the R package.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

I did notice that the package was using the old queensu.ca link.  Put in an issue and got a response from the author in less than 10 minutes, so they might respond to an inquiry as to the location.

Or you could run the update_internal_exifr.R script that's included in the package.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Jacqui Sunderland-Groves

Thank you Phil and StarGeek! Valuable lesson learned for me today. It was an R issue and I needed to update my R package.... thank you both for help and support in working through this for me. I really appreciate it!