Adding new EXIF information.

Started by Allbiez, August 19, 2021, 05:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hubert

Quote from: Allbiez on August 20, 2021, 06:57:07 PM

If true, I will have completed everything except "Measuring Mode: Patterned".
I can only "Patterned" value for this TAG via Windows File Details.
I couldn't see the "Patterned" option on Exiftool.

Maybe Metering Mode?

Allbiez

That's what I thought of as a similar alias. I just couldn't see the "Patterned" option in the values.
I think this value corresponds to "Multi-segment".

I did everything; but there is something i am wondering about.
In some commands, I get the following warning in ICC_Profile commands.
Warning: Sorry, ProfileCreator is not writable
Nothing to do.

When "NO" is written in the "Writable" section for the tags, we cannot add that data to the picture in any way, right?

Because when I copied the picture with the information to another picture, I saw that some information was not transferred.
I wanted to ask because everything is possible with codes and to clarify the situation.

StarGeek

Quote from: Allbiez on August 21, 2021, 09:15:59 AM
I did everything; but there is something i am wondering about.
In some commands, I get the following warning in ICC_Profile commands.
Warning: Sorry, ProfileCreator is not writable
Nothing to do.

When "NO" is written in the "Writable" section for the tags, we cannot add that data to the picture in any way, right?

This is where things get really complicated.  There are tags which are editable but you cannot create them.  Most commonly these are the proprietary tags that camera makers add to file, collectively called MakerNotes.  This encompasses a lot of groups, listed by the company names on the Tag Names page.

Then there are tags like those included in the ICC_Profile.  Most of these cannot be edited and they can't be created.  Additionally, they are marked as Unsafe because, obviously, changing them may significantly affect the colors of the image.

In both these cases, while you can't copy individual tags, you can copy the whole block.  See last paragraph under FAQ #9. This is also useful when dealing with tags that exiftool doesn't have definitions for.  For example, proprietary or obscure tags in XMP, which exiftool can list but cannot create.

To copy Makernotes as a block you would use
-TagsFromFile SOURCE -MakerNotes TARGET

In the case of the ICC_Profile, you can copy it as a block
-TagsFromFile SOURCE -ICC_Profile TARGET
but there is also the ColorSpaceTags shortcut (see Shortcut tags page) which will copy it and a few other color space related tags
-TagsFromFile SOURCE -ColorSpaceTags TARGET
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Allbiez

It worked.
Thank you so much.

Meanwhile, I run the following command: but "FileAccessDate" is not updating.
I want to make all recipes the same.

Command: exiftool "-FileCreateDate<CreateDate" "-FileModifyDate<CreateDate" sample.jpg

StarGeek

FileAccessDate is not directly writable, but it should update to be the same as FileModifyDate when FileModifyDate is changed.  It works here so I don't know why it isn't working for you.

But FileAccessDate is a completely useless system timestamp.  The fact that the value will update every time you access the file means it will always be changing.  On my Win 10 system, just hitting properties on the file changes the value of this tag.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Allbiez

It's good to know it's not worth the effort.
Thank you, StarGeek.
Thank you very much for your interest and help in all matters.