How to find Jpg files with embedded additional images or videos

Started by ubacher, April 07, 2021, 11:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

My Samsung smartphone produces jpg photos which contain hidden files. Exiftool shows this like that:
[Samsung]       Embedded Video Type             : MotionPhoto_Data
[Samsung]       Embedded Video File             : (Binary data 4203376 bytes, use -b option to extract)

or
[Samsung]       Embedded Image Name             : FocusShot_1
[Samsung]       Embedded Image                  : (Binary data 4489602 bytes, use -b option to extract)
[Samsung]       Embedded Image Name             : FocusShot_2
[Samsung]       Embedded Image                  : (Binary data 4950345 bytes, use -b option to extract)

I assume that other smartphone makers do similar things. Anyone know?

What bothers me is that there is no obvious way to know when a jpg has such hidden files. Any ideas?

A tag like Embedded Files Yes/No would help in such cases.

( I am using exiftool from within Imatch - I want to be able to select jpg files which contain hidden files.)

ubacher

I have been browsing the list of tags and I found , under COMPOSITE, the tags MP Image
and Other Image.
The MP Image is probably restricted to MPF files (which are jpg files containing two or more images).
The Other Image tag could (should?) be used whenever embedded images are present. For embedded videos
on would however need another tag name.

StarGeek

Quote from: ubacher on April 07, 2021, 11:18:09 PM
I assume that other smartphone makers do similar things. Anyone know?

It's quite possible.  In this case, those tags are MakerNotes, data inserted into the file specific to the camera that took the image/video.  Camera companies do not release the specs on this proprietary data and it must be decoded by programmers interested in doing so.  They also do not collaborate between companies and even different cameras made by the same company will write this data in different ways.

QuoteWhat bothers me is that there is no obvious way to know when a jpg has such hidden files. Any ideas?

A tag like Embedded Files Yes/No would help in such cases.

You would want to use the -if option.  And the Preview group is where such images are likely to be grouped.  Try
exiftool -if "$Preview:All" -Preview:All /path/to/files/

QuoteI am using exiftool from within Imatch - I want to be able to select jpg files which contain hidden files.

You'll probably have to ask over at Photools.com.

Quote from: ubacher on April 08, 2021, 12:44:21 AM
I have been browsing the list of tags and I found , under COMPOSITE, the tags MP Image
and Other Image.

Composite tags are tags derived from other tags in the file.  Those tags are listed in the "Derived From" column.  In the case of OtherImage, it is created when the OtherImageStart and OtherImageLength tags exist.  See entries under the EXIF tags page for details on those tags.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).