Main Menu

deleting tags

Started by fpefpe, May 13, 2021, 01:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fpefpe

Hello --- I am not quite sure how to do this, but I would like to delete tags in a mp4 file ---
so if I wanted to delete the tag "Foo Bar" from the file I tried

exiftool -x "Foo Bar" video.mp4

I am running this on windows --- It did not alter the file --- what did I miss

Thanks

StarGeek

The -x (-exclude) option is for excluding a tag from the output when displaying data.  So your command would display all data except for the "FooBar" tag.

To remove a tag, see the -TAG[+-^]=[VALUE] option.  You simply set the tag to nothing, i.e. -Description= would removed the Description tag.

You probably should also read FAQ #2, FAQ #3, and take a look at the Writing Examples.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

fpefpe

Hello thanks for your reply ---  Not sure what this error message means

<(fpe1006/datadisk1/931)e:\dl(0,0)>exiftool  -gps:all=junk video.mp4

Error: File not found - junk
======== video.mp4
Warning: [minor] The ExtractEmbedded option may find more tags in the media data - video.mp4
    1 image files read
    1 files could not be read

StarGeek

I'm not sure what you were trying to do there.  As listed, you're trying to set all GPS tags to the word "junk".  If you tell us what your goal is, we can be more helpful.

There are two problems with that command.  First, none of the GPS tags can be set to a value of "junk".  The second is that the tags in the GPS group are part of the EXIF group.  And while an EXIF block can sometimes be found in a video file, it is against the spec and exiftool cannot edit them.

What you are probably looking for is the GPSCoordinates tag, which is part of the Quicktime group.  Those are the tags that appear in video files.

If you want to clear that tag, your command would be
exiftool -GPSCoordinates= video.mp4

The warning message is self explanatory.  Exiftool may not be displaying all the metadata in the video file.  More metadata may be embedded in the video streams and you would use the -ee (-extractEmbedded) option to view that data.  Most often, such data would be a GPS track log.  Since there is not spec for a GPS log in a video file, exiftool can't edit such data.  If you wish to remove a GPS track, your best bet would be to remux the video with something like FFMpeg.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

fpefpe

thanks for your reply --- I was having an issue  passing  the equal (=) in the command line --- I  think I fixed that no ---  Simply, I am  trying to delete all the GPS tags  --- thanks for the help --- sorry for the confusion on my part

StarGeek

Wildcards can be used to make the command simpler. Using this command
exiftool -GPS*= /path/to/files/
will remove all GPS tags that exiftool can edit in images and mp4/mov videos.

fpefpe