file extension.dir results in error

Started by kiefermat, October 13, 2021, 05:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiefermat

If I run exiftool on a file with extension .dir I get the following error:

Can't locate Image/ExifTool/DIR.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Image::ExifTool::DIR module)

Is this an installation issue? I did not find any module DIR.pm in the exiftool package.

To reproduce use any file with extension .dir:

$ touch foo.dir
$ exiftool foo.dir
Can't locate Image/ExifTool/DIR.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Image::ExifTool::DIR module) (@INC contains: /usr/local/Cellar/exiftool/12.30/libexec/lib /Library/Perl/5.30/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.30 /Network/Library/Perl/5.30/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.30 /Library/Perl/Updates/5.30.2 /System/Library/Perl/5.30/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.30 /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.30/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.30) at /usr/local/Cellar/exiftool/12.30/libexec/lib/Image/ExifTool.pm line 2645.

I have reproduced this issue on Linux and Mac and with different versions of exiftool including the current version 12.32

Phil Harvey

Good catch!  I'll fix this in the next release.  ExifTool 12.33 will report this as an unsupported file type.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).