FLIR RJPG to temperature (C or K) pixel value TIFF (and retaining geotags)

Started by hamberg.jonas, January 13, 2022, 04:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamberg.jonas

Hi! Thank you for letting me join in and thanks for the helpful tool! I have been trying to figure out how to go from a FLIR RJPG image to a TIFF (or similar format) where the pixel values correspond to temperature and retains gps/geo info.

I'm doing ecological research based on thermal images from an XT2(R) camera mounted on a drone. I need to correlate tree health data with temperatures. I was hoping to import the TIFF file where the pixel values were in Kelvin (or C) into QGIS and then match it with tree data there.

I've been reading a bunch of threads about similar applications but it seems the output is generally in binary arrays or similar and geotags are not retained. The answer seems to be out there but I'm a newbie not just to exiftool but to python in general. I have managed to get from RJPG to raw thermal image values using Exiftools, but that is it.

Any help at all with this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you again.

Phil Harvey

ExifTool really isn't the utility for this.  You want something that will modify the image, which ExifTool will not do.

You may need to use some image editing utility in combination with something like ExifTool, and people have done things like this, but it isn't very straightforward.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).