FLIR compass metadata - willing to contribute

Started by anieuwland, January 05, 2022, 12:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anieuwland

The FLIR E75 has a compass according to its manual, but I don't see it in Exiftool's output for files created using it. I also don't see a possibly related tag in the listed FLIR Tags. Am I right in that this metadata is not supported yet?

I might be willing to contribute support for extracting this information. I have already roughly grokked Exiftool's architecture, but would need pointers how to know what data in the file is the compass. Is there information or knowledge on that documented somewhere?

Cheers!

Manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2068411/Flir-E-Series.html?page=101#manual

Phil Harvey

I could probably figure this out if you could provide samples with, say, the orientation set to south and then west (and all other settings the same).  You can send them to me directly: philharvey66 at gmail.com

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

anieuwland

Phil Harvey

The compass direction is stored in these files as GPS:GPSImgDirection, and is extracted by ExifTool.

It is also stored in the FLIR metadata, and the next version of ExifTool will extract this as well.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

anieuwland

Thanks for having looked at it. I had overlooked the ImgDirection tag. Good to hear it will also appear in the FLIR metadata in the future!

Phil Harvey