Export large arrays to xmp file

Started by alexmerkel, July 26, 2022, 02:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexmerkel

I'm trying to generate xmp sidecar files from DNG images. When using the command exiftool -ext dng -o %d%f.xmp -r DIR I get the following warnings:
Warning: [Minor] Not decoding some large array(s). Ignore minor errors to decode - DIR/IMG.dng

From searching through the forum, I read that this is due to exiftool ignoring large arrays by default for performance reasons.
But if I don't care about the performance, is there a way to force exiftool to export everything? When rendering the image to JPEG using the newly generated sidecar file, the resulting picture is visually different, so the skipped arrays (Profile Look Table Data, Profile Hue Sat Map Data 1, & Profile Hue Sat Map Data 2) are important in my cases.

Thanks,
Alex

Phil Harvey

Hi Alex

You can ignore minor warnings with the -m option.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

alexmerkel

Hi Phil,

thanks for your reply. From my understanding, the -m option would only suppress the message and not instruct exiftool to actually write the large arrays to the XMP file. Is that not the case?

Best regards,
Alex

Phil Harvey

That is not the case.  The message says "Ignore minor errors to decode" [the large arrays].

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).