Kudos on such an excellent utility!

Started by rberke, January 30, 2022, 05:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rberke

I just began using EXIFTOOL on my Windows 10 system this weekend.  I had to overcome some missing values for the date of 'capture' of my scanned prints.  Actual photos from cameras were okay right from the start.  A different program I used to edit the scanned, saved JPG files called the field 'Capture Date', and it was absent.  Windows called it 'Date Taken'.  EXIFTOOL could reveal when I added a file and I interrogated the file I could see it calls that field DateTimeOriginal.  Once I got that understood I was easily able to have EXIFTOOL create/apply that value based on the FileModifyDate (my choice).   The 'batch' mode recursive processing down through my folder/directory tree saved me a lot of effort!

I like that EXIFTOOL can do what it does.   I like that so many users and of course Phil, too, are so helpful!

Thanks for sharing your excellent work.

Richard Berke
Columbia, MD  USA

Phil Harvey

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the note.  I'm happy you were able to get over the first few hurdles and use ExifTool to achieve your goal.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).