Windows Error 0xC00D3E8E - Property is read only

Started by amlucca, August 29, 2022, 01:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amlucca

Good afternoon,

I have a MAC and a Windows PC and I want my videos to store metadata in the best tags.
I have read here in the forum that the best QuickTime tags to store Title, Description and Keywords in MAC are the "Keys" tags.

I have written those Keys tags in all my videos and they are shown on my MAC perfectly. However, when I access these videos on my Windows PC nothing is shown. (Important to mention that I have written Title, Description and Keywords in ItemList tags as well, since Windows prefers those). When I try to edit those tags on windows "details" tab it shows me the message with the Error 0xC00D3E8E:Property is read only.

After a bunch of tests, I came up with the conclusion that the KEYS tags are the cause of this Error, because when I strip them off my videos the error vanishes.

The problem is that I then have a double work of storing videos on MAC with Keys and on Windows without Keys.

I'd like to know if there is any solution so I can have Keys tags written on my videos on Windows and not causing this error.

Thank you.

StarGeek

What version of Windows are you using?  Windows 10 doesn't allow me to even attempt to edit any data in an MP4 file.  Though I could have sworn it used to.  That might have been Windows 8, though.

I do know that Window will get messed up if there is a lot of metadata in the the file.  My test file that has 150 Quicktime tags set makes it so that Windows is unable to read any data from the file.

It may just be, as the error says, that Windows is unable to edit that tag.  Or it may be that Windows isn't very robust at editing video metadata.

You might also try editing the tags with MP3tag, which, despite it's name, can edit MP4 files, as well as MKV and WebM.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

amlucca

I'm using Windows 10. For a moment I thought that could be the problem (Windows not being able to edit data in video files). However, some of my videos which have this problem are not MP4, but MOV. Plus, it's weird that if I strip the QuickTime:Keys tags, the problem goes away.

So I come up with the conclusion that maybe the problem is with "QuickTime:Keys" tags. The sad thing is that I can't figure out a way to make my videos metadata unique in all my computers - Mac and pc, since in MAC the best place to store metadata in video files is QUICKTIME KEYS and on windows I face this problem.

StarGeek

I'm inclined to think that Windows parsing/writing of video files is simply pretty poor.  I have had strange problems before and like I said, too much data and Windows chokes on it.

I still can't figure out why I can't edit data in the details tab anymore and that is annoying me.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).