Filter our GPS points based on 'GPS Horizontal Positioning Error' in GOPRO video

Started by Relapse, July 05, 2024, 09:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Relapse

Firstly, thanks for putting ExifTool together Phil and co. Would have been lost without it.

I've got a heap of GOPRO 10 clips I need to extract GPS tracks out of but due to the time taken to get a decent satellite lock the initial few points are nonsense.  I noticed the 'GPS Horizontal Positioning Error' tag in the outputs and would like to apply a < 10m filter to the export if possible.  Alternatively I could use the format file approach to generate a CSV which includes the 'GPS Horizontal Positioning Error' which I could post process.

I've tried the format file approach but $gpshorizontalpositioningerror# gives me this error.

"Warning: [Minor] Tag 'Doc1:gpshorizontalpositioningerror' not defined"

Is there a place to find the matching key words for the format file syntax somewhere?

#[HEAD]UTCTime,Lat,Lon,Accuracy
#[IF]  $gpslatitude $gpslongitude
#[BODY]${gpsdatetime#;DateFmt("%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%fZ")} , $gpslatitude# , $gpslongitude# , $gpshorizontalpositioningerror#

Thanks
Derek

StarGeek

I believe this is FAQ #3. Run that command to see what the actual name of the tag is. "GPS Horizontal Positioning Error" is the description of the tag (see FAQ #2), not the tag name. You can narrow down the search by using a wildcard to only view tags with "GPS" in them and add the -ee (-extractEmbedded) option if necessary.

exiftool -G1 -a -s -GPS* /path/to/files/
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Relapse

Quote from: StarGeek on July 05, 2024, 10:07:16 AMI believe this is FAQ #3. Run that command to see what the actual name of the tag is. "GPS Horizontal Positioning Error" is the description of the tag (see FAQ #2), not the tag name. You can narrow down the search by using a wildcard to only view tags with "GPS" in them and add the -ee (-extractEmbedded) option if necessary.

exiftool -G1 -a -s -GPS* /path/to/files/

Thanks heaps StarGeek, that was a great help.  Got the output I need now.