PDF reporting enhancements

Started by thorsted, April 10, 2023, 02:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorsted

Wondering if it would be possible to have exiftool report back on wether:

PDF has incremental updates (multiple EOF markers)
PDF has 3D/RichMedia content (embedded AV or 3D Models)

Phil Harvey

Quote from: thorsted on April 10, 2023, 02:18:14 PMPDF has incremental updates (multiple EOF markers)

Maybe try this: grep -c %%EOF FILE

QuotePDF has 3D/RichMedia content (embedded AV or 3D Models)

Maybe this for the RichMedia? exiftool -v FILE | grep RichMediaContent

I'm not sure about the 3D, but you should be able to figure out something.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

thorsted

Thanks Phil, I'll give that a try.

Any chance getting metadata like this available through the XML output? I have a workflow running which parses the XML.

Thanks.

Phil Harvey

Adding the ability to do either of these would add significant extra processing overhead, which would slow things down for all other uses.  At the moment, I don't see that it is worth the trade-off.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

thorsted

Is there an option to use verbose and XML together? Verbose has everything thing I need, even gives me a count of the PDF dictionaries!

Phil Harvey

The -v and -X options don't work together, but you could do something like this:

exiftool -v -w verbose -execute -X -w xml -common_args FILE

This will create .verbose and .xml output files for each input FILE.

- Phil