Copying metadata from one file to another[Windows specific metadata]@

Started by sunny123, July 18, 2023, 09:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunny123

I just picked up using exiftool today so apologies if I am making a redundant post.

I have two images, A.jpg and B.jpg.  A.jpg is a regular 4k image and B.jpg is an upscaled 15k image.
While upscaling the image, original metadata such as GPS and camera information is lost.
And I wanted to copy all original metadata to the upscaled image (those that I see on [file]-[properties]-[details]: description, origin, image, advanced photo, gps and file)

So I tried these commands and some variations (Windows 11):
exiftool -all:all -tagsfromfile SOURCE_FILE -all:all -unsafe -overwrite_original TARGET_FILE
exiftool -tagsfromfile SOURCE_FILE -exif TARGET_FILE

All worked fine and metadata by viewing exiftool was all good.
But when checking the image file [Properties]-[Details] nothing was updated (Windows 11).
And the problem is the software I am using reads file's Windows-specific metadata fields.

Any suggestion on what I can do to completely overwrite the original metadata and property update in Windows-specific metadata?

The sample image set is attached (they are from Pix4D sample data).
Note: image B is over 200MB (about 18k image)

Image A: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1be2tZU1A4J62BCvS_Zbhugo0r6I5do_j/view?usp=sharing
Image B:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_JJSk9xxYKFrCgr4hZKw3E7iOChhIWR6/view?usp=sharing

Thank you!

StarGeek

Your second image is a PNG file.  Windows doesn't read any metadata from PNG files at all except for the the PNG:CreationTime tag, which it uses to fill the "Date Taken" property.

See this post for what tags Windows will read and the properties it will fill.

Windows does support TIFF files and it's a lossless operation to convert a PNG to a TIFF as long as you don't choose jpeg compression.  For example, this is the save options dialog for TIFF files in Irfanview.  I believe the jpeg option is the only lossy options and the others are lossless. 

Here's the Windows properties after I copy from the jpg to the tiff with -All:All
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

sunny123

Thank you so much StarGeek!

Didn't know much about file types.
I used simple Python code to transform all PNGs to TIF and everything seems to be working. 8)

sunny123

By the way below is the command I am using to copy all metadata.
How would I change this so I can process all images in two different folders?

exiftool -tagsfromfile SOURCE_FILE -all:all TARGET_FILE

Phil Harvey

Just put the folder names on the command line in place of TARGET_FILE.  But it would be unusual to want to do this from a single source file.  For copying from different source files, use %d %f and %e in the source file name to represent the directory, filename and extension of the target file.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

If the tiff files are in the same directory as the jpegs, then the command would be something like this.  Replace /path/to/files/ with the actual path to the tiffs.

exiftool -ext tiff -ext tif -tagsfromfile %d%f.jpg -all:all /path/to/files/

I added the -ext (-extension) option so that exiftool will only process the tiff files.  You don't want to waste time copying the jpeg data back into the same jpeg.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).