Converting geotags to name and adding the names to images for fast search

Started by jbionic, June 04, 2023, 08:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbionic

Hi there,

Let's say I have a geo-tagged photo (see attached example with predefined EXIF: GPSLongitude and EXIF:GPSLatitude).
I wanna make a match between GPS coordinates and the designated name of the place.
The below example photo has been already tagged with the name of the place in EXIF:UserComment.
But let's just imagine that the tag EXIF:UserComment is missing, so I need to add it up somehow in order to be able to search by keyword name later (without bothering about knowing the GPS-coordinates of the place).

I would be satisfied even if GPS coordinates could be matched manually with a place by direct input of its name vs the coordinates (with allowed error). However as I was told some programs can do it automatically by loading the data from Google Maps or alike. One of such programs is the following: https://sourceforge.net/projects/geotag/
However the comments below the download link say that some users experience an issue with the app as it just stops working. Unfortunately it's got frozen on my notebook too. So I am curious if there are any other apps that can do the same?

As I said before, ideally the program must grab the GPS-coordinates, automatically convert them into the tag name and write it within EXIF:UserComment or any other tag, so that later I could search for any photos by keyword with the name of the place.

Thanks.   

GPS_location_stamped_with_GPStamper.jpg

StarGeek

You don't mention your OS, but if it is Windows, you might try GeoTagNinja, which was created by a user here to replace the old GeoSetter program, which was broken due to changes in Google's map API.  It's still possible to use GeoSetter, you just have to make some edits and get your own Google map API key.  Unfortunately, the API key isn't free if you make over a certain amount of API calls.

I believe that DigiKam also has the ability to set location names (Docs link), though it would set the more standard locations of Location, City, State, and Country.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

jbionic

Quote from: StarGeek on June 04, 2023, 10:47:49 AMYou don't mention your OS, but if it is Windows

Thanks, StarGeek. Yes, I was looking for either Windows or Android app.

The list of requirements for the program that you mentioned seems impressive ..
QuoteWindows 7+ is needed.
SQLite is running x86 but fwiw the app isn't really memory-hungry so it will do. Chances are if you're still on a 1st-gen Intel Core you're not on Windows 7. Hopefully.
You'll need an ArcGIS API key to use the map search functionality. Register for free here
You'll need a geoNames username and password to use toponomy search. Register for free here
WebView2 is required but should come with your OS most likely. If not, get it from here

I thought there would be something easier to manage :)

StarGeek

The need for an API key is going to be pretty much a requirement for any program, as otherwise, the developer would have to eat the cost of extensive use. This is one of the things that killed GeoSetter, as Google Maps API was no longer free and they were not willing to pay thousands of dollars monthly for a free app.

I'm pretty sure that you don't need to actually install anything else.  SQLite should be included, though you can ask the author in this thread to be sure.  They've been very responsive to bugs and new feature requests on the Github page.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).