Additional Command within same Group

Started by Geoff_12889, July 25, 2023, 07:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_12889

If I am using -exif:make and I also want -exif:model, is there any way to have that done shorthand, like "-exif:make,model", "-exif:make;model", or "-exif:make+model". Not sure if that is possible, or do I need to call -exif each time I want something from there?

Thank you,
Geoffrey

Phil Harvey

Hi Geoffrey,

You need to specify EXIF each time.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Is there any reason to not just use
exiftool -Make -Model /path/to/files/

Unless the metadata is out of sync for some reason, the XMP tags and EXIF tags should be the same.  And that's only if there are XMP Make and Model tags to begin with.

The other option would be to create a shortcut tag.  If you have a .exif_config file (see example.config file), you would change the shortcut section to
%Image::ExifTool::UserDefined::Shortcuts = (
    MyShortcut => ['exif:createdate','exposuretime','aperture'],
    MyAlias => 'FocalLengthIn35mmFormat',
    MyMakeModel => ['EXIF:Make','EXIF:Model'],1
);
and you would always get the EXIF Make and Model by just using
exiftool -MyMakeModel /path/to/files/
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Geoff_12889

Quote from: StarGeek on July 25, 2023, 10:50:58 PMIs there any reason to not just use
exiftool -Make -Model /path/to/files/

Unless the metadata is out of sync for some reason, the XMP tags and EXIF tags should be the same.  And that's only if there are XMP Make and Model tags to begin with.

The other option would be to create a shortcut tag.  If you have a .exif_config file (see example.config file), you would change the shortcut section to
%Image::ExifTool::UserDefined::Shortcuts = (
    MyShortcut => ['exif:createdate','exposuretime','aperture'],
    MyAlias => 'FocalLengthIn35mmFormat',
    MyMakeModel => ['EXIF:Make','EXIF:Model'],1
);
and you would always get the EXIF Make and Model by just using
exiftool -MyMakeModel /path/to/files/

I just tested that method, and it also works. I could use an alias/shortcut tag, but I plan on creating a script and not changing it often, so it wouldn't save me much time, but it is a good idea if I plan on calling it frequently.

StarGeek

Here's my advice when it comes to using tag names.  Keep it as simple as possible.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).