Unable to extract "ProfileGainTableMap" tag from Apple ProRaw DNG file

Started by ra980, August 08, 2023, 09:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ra980

Hi guys,

I am a Nikon camera user,

but I am very interested in trying to apply color sciences of other camera manufacturers like FUJIFILM to some of my raw files(converted into DNG already) and see what it's like.

Luckily, I've just tried changing the "UniqueCameraModel" tag value into "Fujifilm GFX 100S",
and opened the modified DNG file in Adobe Camera Raw,
and then it believed that the photo was shot on the Fuji camera,
and allowed me to apply Fuji's "Velvia" mode and "CLASSIC Neg" mode,
which is absolutely awesome.

So after that, I wanted to see if I could put Apple's advanced computational photography techniques into my Nikon Raw photos,
and it turns out that all the computational data is stored in the "ProfileGainTableMap" tag.

So I tried to extract the binary data, and got nothing, no matter how I tried.
I tried many command lines like this:
-s -b -m -ee3 -U -G3:1 -api requestall=3 -api largefilesupport -ProfileGainTableMap Apple.DNG Nikon.DNG

The tool either showed me an error says "Warning: [Minor] Not decoding some large array(s)." without using "-m",
or showed me absolutely nothing when using "-m".

And I tried other tags with smaller size of data block, it worked perfictly well,
here is an example:
-TileOffsets -s -b

the actual command line I want to run would look like this:
-s -b -ProfileGainTableMap Apple.DNG Nikon.DNG

Could anybody tell me the reason why? Or how could I get it right and make it work?

Thank you so much!

Phil Harvey

ExifTool extracts ProfileGainTableMap in binary format, so it doesn't make sense to extract it to the console.  But you can extract it to a data file:

exiftool -ProfileGainTableMap -b FILE > gain_map.dat

and copy it to another file:

exiftool "-ProfileGainTableMap<=gain_map.dat" ANOTHER_FILE

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).