kaotikkeith

Hi,
I have a folder structure like this:
Photos\2015\2015-03 Spring break\pic1.jpg...pic2.jpg...pic3.jpg
Photos\2015\2015-07 Summer Vacation\[images]
Photos\2015\2015-12 Christmas\[images]
Photos\2016\2016-01 Ski Trip\[images]
...and so on.

I am looking to grab the directory/folder name for each image and put it in the description tag (because this is carried into the Caption field when I drop them into iCloud/iOS photos). I do not want the directory-tree, only the folder containing said image. So in my hierarchy above, pic1, pic2, and pic3 would all have description metadata of "2015-03 Spring break".

I will be doing this from Windows command line, and would run it from the Photos directory, recursively.
I have tried the following:
exiftool -r "-description<directory" .
However, that gives me a description inclusive of the folder structure, resulting in "./2015/2015-03 Spring break"
How can I only grab the single folder name holding the image?

Also... I also have some images in Canon RAW - .CR2.  Any way to do the same thing with those files?

Thanks for any help!
-Keith

StarGeek

Try this in CMD (not PowerShell)
exiftool "-Description<${FilePath;$_=(split m(/),$_)[-2]}" /path/to/files/

This splits the absolute file path into an array and takes the second entry from the end. The first entry from the end [-1] would be the filename, the second [-2] is the parent directory, the third [-3] would be the next parent up, etc.

This will overwrite any data that already exists in Description and would require a more complicated command to preserve pre-existing data.

Quote from: kaotikkeith on April 11, 2024, 11:05:58 AMAlso... I also have some images in Canon RAW - .CR2.  Any way to do the same thing with those files?

I'm not sure what you mean.  Exiftool will process both CR2 and JPG files automatically.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).