Samyang Lens Firmware Version

Started by Emanuel, April 06, 2024, 03:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emanuel

Hello,
I'm new here and I want to thank Phil Harvey for this great software which helped me to find out the shutter count on my Canon R6 camera. I'm also trying to find out the firmware version of a Samyang lens I've recently bought, but without luck, so far. Am I missing something? Is there a way to find it out without buying the Samyang lens station?
Thank you so much again,
Emanuel

StarGeek

Looking over the various Canon tag pages (Canon Tag page/CanonCustom Tag Page/CanonVRD Tag Page/CanonRaw Tag Page) none of them seem to show an entry for a lens firmware version.

I would think that if there was an entry, it would have been discovered by now.  But there's always the possibility that it hasn't been found. It's also entirely possible that no Canon camera will save this data into the images.  Phil will probably know for sure about this.

The -u (-unknown) option can be used to list unknown tags and you can look through those results to see if there is anything obvious.

Here's how I would suggest looking for it. If possible, take a picture with two different lenses.  Leave the lens cap on and set the camera to manual so as few settings in the camera will change as possible. Then use the -u option and the command in FAQ #3 to list all the tags including duplicates, and the groups they belong too. Then compare the two outputs for a tag value that changes and looks like it might be a firmware version.

If you share the image(s), we can also take a look.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Emanuel

Thank you very much!
I've tried to find out the firmware from these two jpg straight out the camera, with the -u command but I found nothing that resembles the firmwares of the two lenses.
CF6A6196.JPG - shot with Sigma 135mm f1.8, Canon EF mount - firmware should be 2.03
CF6A6197.JPG - shot with Samyang AF 85mm f1.4, Canon EF mount - firmware might be 1 (2 is the latest version).
Could you, please, take a look?

Phil Harvey

I don't think the lens firmware version is stored, and I can't see anything obvious in those files.

I would need more sequential samples to be able to look for a shutter count.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Emanuel

Thank you for your response!  :)
I did this sequence with AF off and the lens cap on, jpg - lowest resolution.
Could you, please, have a look?

PH Edit: Removed sample images.

Phil Harvey

When you asked about ShutterCount, I was assuming that ExifTool wasn't already extracting it.  But it does already extract ShutterCount from these files.  The shutter count is almost 138,000

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Emanuel

I've seen the shutter count, thank you. I was curious about the firmware version, which probably is not written in exif, unfortunately. Eventually I'll buy the Samyang lens station to update the firmware because the autofocus is very unreliable right now and I suspect it's because it has the first version of the firmware.