GeolocationPosition differs from actual GPSPosition

Started by Paulera, June 11, 2024, 09:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulera

That difference then gives an incorrect GeolocationCity name.

Windows 11 Pro Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
Command (CMD):
exiftool -api geolocation -s -n "-Exiftool*" "-GPSL*" "-GPSP*" "-geolocationPosition" "-geolocationcity" IMG_3105.HEIC
ExifToolVersion                 : 12.86
GPSLatitudeRef                  : S
GPSLongitudeRef                 : W
GPSLatitude                     : -23.5343861111111
GPSLongitude                    : -46.6769611111111
GPSPosition                     : -23.5343861111111 -46.6769611111111
GeolocationPosition             : -23.5667 -46.6644
GeolocationCity                 : Jardim Paulista

If I use the GPSPosition data on geoname.org I get the correct "GeolocationCity" = Perdizes.

This happens in all pictures from an iPhone 13 and also iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Any help greatly appreciated,
Thank you very much for this magnificent tool!

Paulo

Phil Harvey

Hi Paulo,

I'm having trouble finding Perdizes via you link to geonames.org.  But in the database I downloaded, the population for Perdizes is 0, so it isn't included in the ExifTool geolocation database.  It is possible to build a custom database which includes cities down to a population of zero (which could be rather large), or to force all features of class PPLX (which Perdizes is), and this should solve you problem.

Ah.  I just downloaded the current version of the cities database from geonames.org, and the population is now listed as 102391.  It must have been updated in the 2 months since I last downloaded the databases.  I'll download the rest of the geonames databases and build an updated ExifTool geolocation database for the next release.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Paulera

Hi Phil,

Ah now I get it, makes perfect sense, thank you so much for the explanation.
I'm sorry for not mentioning the PPLX and for making the wrong assumptions (I should had paid more attention).

Thanks for everything. I can't thank you enough.

Best regards,
Paulo

Phil Harvey

I plan to release 12.87 within an hour or so.  It will have a new version of the Geolocation database that includes Perdizes.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

Hi Paulo,

ExifTool 12.87 is now available.

Also, I have added a new Troubleshooting section to the Geolocation page to provide tips for solving problems like this.

- Phil

Paulera

Hi Phil,

It worked perfectly and the new section is very helpful.

Inspiring work!

God bless you,
Paulo