Geosetter Error since beyond Exif 12,57

Started by daveextreme2, July 27, 2024, 06:00:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Harvey

OK.  I though you said you emptied that folder except for "exiftool_files".

Can you do a search of your hard disk for "exiftool.exe" to see where else it could be hiding?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

daveextreme2

Just downloaded "exiftool-12.92_64.zip" from https://oliverbetz.de/pages/Artikel/ExifTool-for-Windows and extracted the files. When I look at these files we have "exiftool.exe" which is version 1.0.5.0, I have copied and replaced the original "exiftool.exe" (version 1.0.4.0) with this now and now GeoSetter is happy that I am all up to date.

daveextreme2

Copied and replaced the "exiftool.exe" at C:\Users\davee\AppData\Roaming\GeoSetter_beta\tools.
Screenshot 2024-07-31 144154.png
Screenshot 2024-07-31 144122.png

daveextreme2

Thanks for your help I wonder what will happen at the next Exif update?!

Phil Harvey

Wow. You made that much harder than it needed to be.

Quote from: Phil Harvey on July 31, 2024, 09:06:25 AMC:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\GeoSetter_beta\tools should also contain the new "exiftool.exe"

Quote from: daveextreme2 on July 31, 2024, 09:15:34 AMIt does have it.

We see now that it didn't, and this was the problem.

Quote from: daveextreme2 on July 31, 2024, 09:50:11 AMThanks for your help I wonder what will happen at the next Exif update?!

The next update will be exactly the same procedure.  But you don't need to use Oliver's version.  You can use the one from the ExifTool home page.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: daveextreme2 on July 31, 2024, 06:54:38 AMAlso why don't I get any notification when I get a reply to my posts?

You can set notifications on a per thread basis in the upper right corner

You can set them globally by clicking your name in the upper left corner, then "Notifications"
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

StarGeek

Quote from: daveextreme2 on July 31, 2024, 09:15:34 AMIt does have it.
Screenshot 2024-07-31 141426.png

This image shows you have exiftool.exe in the same directory as all the files that are supposed to be in the exiftool_files subdirectory.

You \AppData\Roaming\GeoSetter\tools should look like this, with the .exiftool_config file being optional.
explorer-2024-07-31_13.49.40.png

That is, unless I get corrected that exiftool.exe will run if it is moved into the exiftool_files directory.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

daveextreme2

OK I have the one folder and the 2 files as above now. All the other files arrived when I tried to update through GeoSetter. I also had files in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\GeoSetter beta\tools, but I have now deleted the "tools" folder as this now also seems unnecessary. I guess in the future when GeoSetter suggests another Exif update I just ignore it and do the manual update.

daveextreme2

You say ".exiftool_config" file is optional so what is its purpose and why is it not included in the exiftool zips? The only way I can see to get this file is from the original GeoSetter installation.

StarGeek

The .exiftool_config file allows you to change some of the default options for exiftool as well as add definitions for tags that are not in the base program.  See the example.config file for more details.

I did not know that Geosetter included it, as it has been a very long time since I installed it. I just assumed it was something that had added.

daveextreme2

Once again great heartache updating ExifTool in Geosetter Beta. In the end the solution this was to delete tools folder at
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\GeoSetter_beta\tools
.. and put exif_tools folder and exif.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\GeoSetter beta\tools this time.

daveextreme2

Really easy actually. When asked to update, the window gives you two links. First to the ExiTool.org website to download Windows 32-bit: exiftool-12.94_32.zip (10.8 MB) or 64-bit: exiftool-12.94_64.zip (10.6 MB), extract the zip file, open the extracted folder until you get to exiftool(-k) and rename to exiftool.exe. Now click on the second link to take you to the Exiftool folder delete the contents and move the new Exiftool folder and exiftool.exe file here.

Screenshot 2024-08-29 222306.png

Screenshot 2024-08-29 223240.png

Screenshot 2024-08-29 224319.png

Screenshot 2024-08-29 224838.png