Interrupting display of command-line help text

Started by stan, August 09, 2024, 10:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stan

Double-clicking the EXE (am using the latest Strawberry Perl-based ZIP release) opens a new window that displays the help text as usual with a pause after each page. Ctrl+C makes the window go poof! as expected.

However, typing exiftool at the command-line (cmd) and pressing Ctrl+C makes the program exit immediately with the following message:

^CCan't spawn "cmd.exe": No error at drive:\full\path\to\exiftool.exe\exiftool_files\exiftool.pl line 7526.
Perhaps not a bug, but really seems like something that can be handled better.

P.S. It seems exiftool doesn't clean up after itself, and leaves the %TMP% folder littered with exiftool_ver_doc.txt files?

Phil Harvey

Thanks for this report.  I'll look into it.

You're right about leaving the txt files in the TMP folder, but this is much better than the previous package which unpacked all of the modules there as well.  I could maybe delete the txt file but then ExifTool would have to re-create it each time rather than just generating it once.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

obetz

I suggest to create the help text during building the package and bundling it with the other files. No need to create it dynamically in the temp directory

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).