Auto-Jump to tab "All" after opening ExifToolGUI? Two columns possible?

Started by pstein, July 16, 2024, 12:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pstein

When I drag an (*.jpg) image file onto ExifToolGUI v6.3.4 then ExifToolGUI opens with the focus on the "Exif" Metadata tab on the right pane.

Is there a way to tell ExifToolGUI to AUTOMATICALLY jump to "All" Metadata tab after start?

Moreover is there a way to show all "All" header tags in 2 (or even 3) columns (of necessary)?
Currently I always have to manually scroll down the "All" tab.

That could be easier and more user friendly

FrankB

Quote from: pstein on July 16, 2024, 12:35:52 AMWhen I drag an (*.jpg) image file onto ExifToolGUI v6.3.4 then ExifToolGUI opens with the focus on the "Exif" Metadata tab on the right pane.
I have just checked that. Drag N dropping a file onto GUI does not change the selected Tab.

Quote from: pstein on July 16, 2024, 12:35:52 AMIs there a way to tell ExifToolGUI to AUTOMATICALLY jump to "All" Metadata tab after start?
No. Currently GUI always starts with the "Workspace" tab open.

Quote from: pstein on July 16, 2024, 12:35:52 AMMoreover is there a way to show all "All" header tags in 2 (or even 3) columns (of necessary)?
No, you can only have 2 columns there. A Key (The Tag name) and a value.

To scroll you can also use the keyboard. (Cursor Up/Down, Page Up/Down, Home, End)
If you know in advance what tags to look for, I recommend adding those to the Workspace, or Custom view. If not you could try the find edit box. The find function searches for both Tag names and values.

pstein

Quote from: FrankB on July 16, 2024, 02:57:08 AM
Quote from: pstein on July 16, 2024, 12:35:52 AMWhen I drag an (*.jpg) image file onto ExifToolGUI v6.3.4 then ExifToolGUI opens with the focus on the "Exif" Metadata tab on the right pane.
I have just checked that. Drag N dropping a file onto GUI does not change the selected Tab.

Yes, I know.
Thats the problem

Quote from: pstein on July 16, 2024, 12:35:52 AMIs there a way to tell ExifToolGUI to AUTOMATICALLY jump to "All" Metadata tab after start?

Yes, I know.
Thats the problem

Quote from: pstein on July 16, 2024, 12:35:52 AMMoreover is there a way to show all "All" header tags in 2 (or even 3) columns (of necessary)?

I am not talking about key-value columns but 2 * 2 key-value columns (at least).
See attached snapshot.

Moreover the vertical slider size is somehow misleading about the total height of the "All" tab.

two All tabs.png

FrankB

Quote from: pstein on July 18, 2024, 04:56:03 AM

Yes, I know.
Thats the problem
I dont see the problem. Suppose you selected the ALL tab, and drag a new file onto GUI, that tab remains open. That was you wanted?
If I would change that then there would be a problem. Imagine people that have carefully setup the Custom View. They want to keep that visible. If for every file opened it would revert back to ALL, it would drive them crazy.

Yes, I know.
Thats the problem
Again I dont see the problem. Just one click after you start GUI. Do you keep shutting down and starting GUI?

I am not talking about key-value columns but 2 * 2 key-value columns (at least).

I understood that.
First of all. Technically impossible with the control used. This control can only do Key=Value https://docwiki.embarcadero.com/Libraries/Athens/en/Vcl.ValEdit.TValueListEditor
But even if it were possible. It would be a nightmare to split. With the ALL tab there is no telling how much data there will be, that depends on the selected file.

Quote from: pstein on July 16, 2024, 12:35:52 AMMoreover the vertical slider size is somehow misleading about the total height of the "All" tab.
I think you mean the size of the 'thumb' does not change with the nr. of lines. I will look into that.

FrankB

Quote from: pstein on July 16, 2024, 12:35:52 AMMoreover the vertical slider size is somehow misleading about the total height of the "All" tab.

The pre-release V635 does also fix this.

https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=16301.0