How to output a certain undocumented tag from makernotes section?

Started by capricorn, September 04, 2024, 11:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capricorn

I would like to investigate if it's possible to decode a few more interesting tags specific to Olympus cameras. For this, it would be of significant help if there was a way to directly display just the tag and its content, instead generating a huge -v4 verbose output, open a text editor and search for it.

exiftool -Olympus_CameraSettings_0x030c <filename>

gives me an empty output. Is there anything I can do get an output similar to what is part in v4?

Olympus_CameraSettings_0x030d = 0 0 1 4
           - Tag 0x030d (8 bytes, int16u[4]):
             2e20: 00 00 00 00 01 00 04 00

Many thanks for any suggestions!

StarGeek

No. The only way to get that level of detail is through the -v (-verbose) option as you are doing.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

greybeard

exiftool -v4 <filename> | grep -C2 0x030d

is one way of avoiding the text editor

JosR

How about

exiftool.exe -H -G1 -U -Olympus_CameraSettings_0x030c <filename>

That should give you as output something like (I don't have an Olympus file to test)

[Olympus]        0x030c   Olympus CameraSettings 0x030c       : <values>

StarGeek

The -H (-hex) option only lists the tag ID in hex, which is already known to be 0x030c.

But I finally realized that you could use the -api Filter option to convert it before it gets listed. Though it would depend upon whether -Olympus_CameraSettings_0x030c is treated as binary or not.

exiftool -api "Filter=s/(.)/sprintf '0x%04x ', ord $1/seg;" -Olympus_CameraSettings_0x030c /path/to/files/

This would be a global effect, so you couldn't really use it except by asking for the exact tag

Example using a different Olympus unknown tag
C:\>exiftool -u -G1 -a -s -api "Filter=s/(.)/sprintf '0x%04x ', ord $1/seg;" -Olympus_FocusInfo_0x030c Y:/!temp/!Metadata_Repository/Olympus/OlympusE-600.jpg
[Olympus]       Olympus_FocusInfo_0x030c        : 0x0033 0x0035 0x0037 0x0020 0x0035 0x0030 0x0030

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

StarGeek