Main Menu

-P Option Problem?

Started by Archive, May 12, 2010, 08:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archive

[Originally posted by eutychus on 2006-12-14 22:31:22-08]

I'm trying to use the -P option to preserve the original file date when renaming a file and moving a copy to a new directory at the same time. According to the documentation, there are a couple of ways to rename and copy at the same time: either use the -o option with a dummy directory, or actually write to a tag. I found a third way, which is to write a null value to an already empty tag (probably similar to the dummy directory idea).

The problem is that the -P option does not work with the -o dummy/ option or with writing a null value to an empty tag. It seems you have to actually write something to a tag if you want to preserve the original file timestamp when renaming and copying at the same time. Is this the intended behavior? It's not a big deal since I can always find something to write. But, I thought you might want to know about it if it's a bug, or perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Archive

[Originally posted by exiftool on 2006-12-14 23:26:30-08]

Thanks for pointing this out.  I wasn't handling this case in the code.
This will be fixed in version 6.65 when it is released.

- Phil

Archive

[Originally posted by eutychus on 2006-12-15 03:57:14-08]

Thanks :-)  I wish the developers who get paid for what they do were as competent and responsive as those of you who do it for free!