-overwrite_original failing in script file

Started by camner, September 14, 2024, 02:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarGeek

Quote from: camner on September 16, 2024, 11:51:52 PMMy script uses the -m option...it's in the 2nd to last line of the code in post #12

Then it's not exiftool enforcing the limit.

It turns out I was partially wrong where @WYWH quoted me above. Testing with Adobe Bridge, I copy/pasted their long example text and wrote it into a file. Bridge truncated the value.
C:\Programs\My_Stuff>exiftool -G1 -a -s -title -objectname y:\!temp\Test4.jpg
[XMP-dc]        Title                           : IPTC:ObjectName 1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
[IPTC]          ObjectName                      : IPTC:ObjectName 123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678

Bridge had no problem reading the tag when it was too long though. So it's possible that LR is also truncating the data when writing.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

wywh

Quote from: StarGeek on September 17, 2024, 10:33:52 AMBridge had no problem reading the tag when it was too long though. So it's possible that LR is also truncating the data when writing.

Yes, Bridge and Lightroom can display long IPTC:ObjectName but both truncate it to 64 characters when writing.

The user might have to delete XMP in order to check how they display IPTC because XMP is preferred unless IPTCDigest is not current.

- Matti

camner

I feel that I am definitely deep inside the rabbit hole on this one. I know that an entire folder of images had their Titles appear in Lightroom in their truncated form. I can't for the life of me reproduce the exact steps I took to achieve that result, and since I fixed the titles before diving into researching this further, I can't test to see if the XMP-DC tag was truncated or not, or whether the IPTC digest was out of date and hence LR read the Title from the truncated IPTC:ObjectName tag instead of the XMP-DC tag.

Is there a way to use ExifTool to test if the IPTC digest is out of date/not current?

StarGeek

I am 100% certain that the XMP tag was not truncated. There's no reason for it to be as there isn't a character limit for XMP tags.

The IPTC data was almost certainly changed from when the IPTCDigest was computed, which causes LR to ignore the XMP data.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

camner

Quote from: StarGeek on September 18, 2024, 01:11:53 AMI am 100% certain that the XMP tag was not truncated. There's no reason for it to be as there isn't a character limit for XMP tags.
I agree!
QuoteThe IPTC data was almost certainly changed from when the IPTCDigest was computed, which causes LR to ignore the XMP data.
Now that I understand what the IPTCDigest is all about, this makes sense.

Is there a way to test an image to see whether the IPTCDigest is no longer current?