Main Menu

Exif date, questions...

Started by Yanka, September 26, 2024, 09:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yanka

Sorry, for my inconvenience. I have created an account again. :) I now understand that others can also search for information from my questions. Thanks for thinking along, Johnny and everyone! We learn from each other!

I have, I think, in 2014, accidentally erased my external drive, my photos were gone, that was terribly bad! Retrieved with a recovery program. They still have Exif data and I could rename them on the date, on which I pressed the button of the camera!

On my Apple I use programs such as: A Finder Better Attributes and XnViewMP, if you use this software, you look a second time in the Exiftool, exiftool -time:all -s FILE, the top date FileModifyDate is changed, set back to the date on which you looked. Programs use Exif and XMP and do not change IPTC.

I have found the program ImageExifEditor in which you can change! FileAccessDate and FileInodeChangeDate, keep the date you changed. I understand, if you open AccessDate again, it will also get the date you changed. How can you change this date? I don't see these names in ImageExifEditor. Do they have a different name there, what name?

exiftool -time:all -s FILE
exiftool -FileAccessDate="2014:12:25 20:32:32" image.jpg
exiftool -FileInodeChangeDate="2014:12:25 20:32:32" image.jpg
Terminal says:
Sorry, FileAccessDate and FileInodeChangeDateis not writable.
How can I solve this?

Greetings,
from Yanka.

StarGeek

Quote from: Yanka on October 05, 2024, 09:18:10 AMI understand, if you open AccessDate again, it will also get the date you changed.

If the file is touched in any way beyond a directory listing, it will change. View or read the metadata the file, the FileAccessDate date will be updated. Your backup program checks to see if it needs to backed up, the date will be updated. Anything that looks at the file will update it. This is a property of the filesystem.

QuoteHow can you change this date?

You can't with exiftool, and you absolutely shouldn't bother. It will always be changing.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Yanka

I don't understand anything, about Exiftool.
I'm a bit worried, I'd like my post to be deleted...

Greetings,
from Yanka.

Phil Harvey

*sarcasm alert* -- Wow, I didn't see that coming.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

[At their request, deleted Yanka's account... again.]

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

TheRidgeback

Yanka.
This is what i was looking for, something along these lines Having renamed 100'000s of images over the years to various formats. (2.5 million images to finally sort out)

After spending a couple of hours playing with and trying different combinations I finally managed to crack the nut and ended up with this string..

exiftool -r. -d "%Y%m%d-%H%M%S" "-filename<${CreateDate}--${model}--${filenumber}%+2c.%e" "C:\yourpath"

Which for me gave the following out puts for my images.

20220212-104916--NIKON D3--3579.jpg   (original image)
20220212-104916--NIKON D3--3579_01.jpg   (duplicate images)

So as a break down it is a follows.
-r.  (recursivly go through all directories)
-d    set the date format to the following YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS
-filename$  write the following to the file.  createddate FROM EXIF
Model of the camera FROM EXIF
FileNumber FROM EXIT  (This is a godsend, thank you for just this one piece)
%+2c  appends a two digit number to duplicate images
.%e appends the original file extension  (I Work with .jpg and .nef in my directories)
"C:\yourpath" directory to your photos.

This way ALL my images are now the same format and the burst files of which there at 10s of thousands are now in the correct sequence as the previous renaming took the files in the order they were read off of the disk.

As a suggestion, make a small copy of the photos and try the commands out on them. I was working on about a 1500 and the renaming only took 45 seconds.

This is worth its weight in gold.