Renaming pictures based on Folder Name

Started by hbr_in, October 02, 2010, 10:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbr_in

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the wonderful app. I just entered the Photography world & your app has made it seem so easy.

I wanted to rename & move each image based on their Exif Info & i succeded. However When creating folders i wanted to maintain the folder name they are in.

I have a lot of Photo Album (or Photo Folders). Currently i use below command to rename & move images to "year\Month\Date\Images" Format.

exiftool "-FileName<DateTimeOriginal" -ext jpg -d "%Y/%m %B/%d/%B-%d-%Y-%H-%M-%S%%-c.%%e" .

Like this i do for all the albums. Then i rename the Date folder to involve the album name(which basically is the initial folder name). Finally i merge them so that i have a year-moth-date sorted folder.

I want the final date folder to have the current folder name.

I know exiftool can also rename the folder based on initial folder name but Just couldnt find how.

Currently from D:\pictures\Hakone trip\ using below comamnd

"exiftool "-FileName<DateTimeOriginal" -ext jpg -d "%Y/%m %B/%d/%B-%d-%Y-%H-%M-%S%%-c.%%e" . "

i get
D:\pictures\Hakone trip\2010\03 March\20\March-20-2010-12-34-12.jpg

but i want
D:\pictures\Hakone trip\2010\03 March\20 - Hakone trip\March-20-2010-12-34-12.jpg

I looked even in below 2 threads but couldnt figure it out.

I didnt understand the steps in below thread
https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php/topic,2741.0.html

Trick from below thread didnt work either
https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php/topic,2831.0.html

Kindly help me in this.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Gururaja

Phil Harvey

Hi Gururaja,

You can do what you want fairly easily by setting the directory properly before running exiftool and adding %%d to your date/time format string in two places:

cd D:\pictures

exiftool "-FileName<DateTimeOriginal" -ext jpg -d "%%d/%Y/%m %B/%d - %%d/%B-%d-%Y-%H-%M-%S%%-c.%%e" "Hakone trip"

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).