Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro for Canon Cameras

Started by lks, November 20, 2010, 02:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lks

This lens is not in the exiftool list of lenses for Canon lenses, but it does exist, and is different from the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro, but without the APO designator.

Should this be referred to internally as

8.3 = Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro

Presumably this duplication also occurs for the other mounts, but I only have the Canon lens mount variety.

Phil Harvey

Thanks for this.  Unfortunately since these two lenses have exactly the same focal range, aperture range and lens ID there is no way to differentiate them.  In this case I don't usually add another entry, but I could think about setting the entry to

8.1 => 'Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 [APO] DG Macro',

to indicate that the lens may or may not be the APO version.  I have done this in the past for things like version II of a lens, but haven't done it for APO yet.  My worry is that I don't want to confuse people who have the non-APO version.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

lks

That seems like a good solution.  But isn't there a user variable that you can use to disambiguate different lenses?  In that case, is there a way to have both listings?

Phil Harvey

Yes, there is a user-defined lens list, but I don't think many people take advantage of this.  I'll just add "[APO]" for now.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).