Main Menu

I/O error 32

Started by Beholder3, July 07, 2011, 01:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beholder3

Hi,
just a minor thing:

ExifToolGUI 4.14 reports "I/O error 32" multiple times when it currently shows an empty file folder and then you copy some pictures into it. Seems it comes from some automatic screen updating.
Happens at least under Win 7 64bit and with DNG files.

Nagging but not serious and easy to circumvent.

BogdanH

Just so I can reproduce this: In GUI, you have empty folder open (that is: "working" folder is empty). Then, while GUI is open, you copy (DNG) files into that "working" folder.. you copy files with Windows Explorer? I mean, with GUI, you can't look at (empty) working folder and copy files into it at the same time... so how exactly you copy files into empty working folder?

Bogdan

Beholder3

Yes, I have two apllications open: exiftoolgui and windows explorer side by side. gui shows folder X as working folder in the middle of the screen.
Then I copy files via explorer from any source to that folder X in explorer (no drag and drop between applications) and the errors occurs.
I just redid it and have to say the following:
a) at first I could not reproduce the error, it seems not 100% the case. I have no idea why it didnt happen first.
b) its not happening with JPGs for sure, only DNGs
c) its only happening with the Detail view:camera settings, not in the standard view

BogdanH

Thank you for very precise description.

Bogdan

BogdanH

What I did.. I converted five Canon raw files with Adobe DNG converter in folder AA. Paralel to this folder I created new BB folder, started GUI, choosed Details:Camera settings and opened empty BB folder. Now, by using WinExplorer, I copied DNG files from AA to BB and.. everything went fine: GUI's file listing was populated as expected.
So, further question: does error appear only if larger amount of files is copied? Does it also happen if only one file is copied? -and if yes, can you post example of such file?
The thing is, that for displaying "Camera settings", GUI isn't using exiftool to collect metadata. That is, there's quite a chance, that did something wrong in Exif reading. Do your DNG's come from PS/Lightroom?

Bogdan

Beholder3

Hi,
to your questions:
does error appear only if larger amount of files is copied? - NO, I tried with six files last time
Does it also happen if only one file is copied? - YES, I moved the files one by one and the error came up.
and if yes, can you post example of such file? - thats a little difficult since they are 20-30MB in size am the limit here is 10MB
Do your DNG's come from PS/Lightroom? - NO, they come traight from the camera. Pentax cameras allow to save as DNG directly, no conversion needed.

I just searched the net for some Pentax DNGs and found K-7 ones and tested with them: no error. Then I used one from my camera K-5: error.

Sadly now, some minutes later I cant reproduce the same error that happenend minutes ago... weird stuff. All I can see - and which is also strange - now that the error doesnt appear GUI also isnt updating the file info from the directories automatically as I think it usually does. If I copy new files in the working directory they dont appear in the GUI main screen by itself. I have to click on another folder B and then click on the chosen directory A again to see the new full content. That might be related to the error.

BogdanH

I've done a bit research on "I/O error 32"... it is a system error, which arises in case one (i.e GUI) tries to access a file (i.e. DNG) which isn't accessible (available, locked,.. whatever).
Do you by any chance use some A-virus software? I ask, because A-virus software usually tries to be the first in line to read (check) the file -so does the GUI to catchup with populating filelist with metadata fast enough. And if GUI is just a little bit slower than some other software, I can imagine, such error would appear.
But there are so many other possibilities, i.e. you may using some thumbnail viewer for DNG files...
That is, I'm only guessing right now.

Thank you for trying to help,
Bogdan