Main Menu

List Index Out of Bound Error

Started by erio, July 02, 2011, 01:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erio

I use EXIFTOOL and GUI to tag my photos.  Suppose I can read and write the EXIF to keep record of all my slides and negatives.  But at some point, I failed to do it (EXIFTOOL v8.6 and GUI is 4.14, I haven't keep my old version on both), when I select the files and click "^" to modify them, a pop up said "List index out of bound (0)" and nothing can do with.  XMP and IPTC are OK, only EXIF cannot be either read or write.

Not just TIFF, but also my digital RAW files (basically I don't shoot JPEG) and now my tagging progress stuck in here.

Any suggestion to me to solve the problem?

BogdanH

Hi,

Can you isolate this problem? I mean, on what file (or at how many files) selected this happens? Does it also happens if this is the first thing you do after starting GUI?
The thing is, since GUI v4.00 this never happened on my PC -so any additional info is of great value for me: that is, "at what point" this happens.

Bogdan

erio

Bogdan,

I think it doesn't related to the number of files that will cause the error, for single file or five, or even a list (10+) will cause the problem.

Suppose I will overwrite the old version with the new one, to the folder that I store EXIFTOOL and the GUI, so the file location or structure have not problem to cause the problem.

I had try last night, to download both TOOLS and GUI, to another folder, and it works fine.  May be the problem was caused by the the invalid ini file.

Here is the problemed ini:

[Application]
Name=ExifToolGUIv4
[Form]
FormTop=-4
FormLeft=-4
FormWidth=1928
FormHeight=1180
Folder=
ThumbnailHeight=200
ThumbnailWidth=220
MetadataWidth=397
MetadataTagWidth=133
MetadataContentWidth=256
FileNameWidth=140
FileSizeWidth=70
FileTypeWidth=105
MetadataRowHeight=16
[Options]
ViewButton=1
ThumbsButton=0
ThumbsSize=112
ListByIFD=1
DontBackup=1
Extract_CopyExif=0
DefDateTime=0000:00:00 12:00:00
DefArtist={Copyright text}
DefTitleJob=
DefCopyR={Copyright text}
DefFilter=*.jpg
DefFilterOn=0
KeepFileDate=1
DefKeySep=*
NoBackup=1
ShowNumbers=1
GPSdecimal=1
AutoRefreshDetails=1
IPTCinQuickView=1
IgnoreErrors=1
DefAuthor={Copyright text}
DefCright={Copyright text}
DefStartupDir=c:\
DefStartupUse=0
DefExportDir=
DefExportUse=0
DefLensModel=1
DefGMapOn=1
DefGMapHome=46.55738,15.64608
[CustomViewTags]
FileName=
exif:ModifyDate=
[ListViewTags]
EXIF=DateTimeOriginal Artist
IPTC=By-line Objectname
XMP=Country State City Location
ICC_Profile=ProfileDescription
[ETGUI]
WinTop=-4
WinLeft=-4
WinWidth=1928
WinHeight=1180
BrowseWidth=224
PreviewHeight=205
InfoWidth=1243
TagWidth=335
DataRowHeight=16
DataFontSize=8
FileNamesWidth=112
ThumbsSize=112
DefaultDir={FOLDER NAME}
FileFilterExt=*.jpg
FileFilterBtn=0
DefViewBtn=0
DefThumbsOn=0
[TagList]
CustomView=-Exif:DateTimeOriginal -Exif:GPSLatitude -Exif:GPSLongitude<
MarkedTags=Model<
[ETdirect]
Save filename into Exif:DocumentName=-Exif:DocumentName<$filename
Set Exif:Copyright with Year+MyName=-d %Y "-Exif:Copyright<?DateTimeOriginal by MyName"

Phil Harvey

There was a a similar thread about a year ago, but I don't know if this will help.

- Phil

Edit: Ooops.  I posted this originally to the wrong thread.  It was meant to go in here.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BogdanH

@erio
I've tried the ini you listed, but it seems to be ok. And I think, such error (List Index Out of..) can't be caused by ini -at least, as long it isn't heavy manipulated manually.
That is, I know exactly what causes such error (couldn't make GUI otherwise). The problem in this case is, I don't know where (in what step exactly) this occurs -if I knew that, I could change GUI to react properly. I mean, in GUI, there are (say) hundred cases where such message is possible to appear (see @Phil below).
And now, after you reintalled ExifTool+GUI, issue disappeared -I'm afraid, I'll need to wait for the next such error occurance... Anyway, let me now if this happens again.

@Phil
Your memory serves you well. I think, you will easy understand this "List Index Out.." stuff:
For most listed items in GUI (and some not visible), memory space is dinamically allocated, incl. for data comming from ExifTool. Now, each item (line) in listing is indexed automatically, so I can access particular item to display it (or manipulate in background) by specifying index value. Index value starts with 0 (for first item in list) and grows as needed. Thus, for 25 items (lines of data) in listing, index value goes from 0 to 24. There are methods to check if, i.e. listing is empty or how many items are in listing, etc.
Anway, if I try to access an item outside listing area (i.e. first line in listing, but listing is empty), message "List Index Out.." will appear.
I'm trying to be carefull as much as possible when accesing indexed data, but as it seems I didn't predict all possible scenarios. Ok, there are ways to catch such "exceptions", but there are too many places in code where this can happen -thus, localizing "when exactly happens" is very helpfull.

A bit longer post.. I hope you aren't bored :)

Bogdan

Beholder3

Hi,

I can only add that I also can't reproduce the error, but I do remember seeing it quiet a couple of times.

As far as I remember I put it aside because I think I saw the cuase of the error being that for some reason I hadn't properly selected ANY files at the time when I asked GUI to do something. As soon as I seleected the files correctly with the mouse all was fine.
That would fit to the posts above.

If I encounter it again I'll also report back.

BogdanH

Yes, I can imagine, not "properly" selected files could made this error msg apearing. In program, I'm trying to catch all possible events (i.e. disabling menu options, which can't handle batch processing, prevent executing Exiftool in case no file is selected, etc.) -still, I might overseen something.
TIA for reporting.

Bogdan

Beholder3

Hi Bogdan,

I now stumbled upon a repeatable way to create the error:

1. have a number of DNG files in the woirking folder displayed in the central window
2. select a bunch of them
3. on the right side panel push the "up" button under "exif" to change multiple files exif contents.
4. on the camera settings tab fill "lensModel" with any text
5. save
6. push the OK button that appears with "x image files have been updated"

(now for some reason the file selection is gone)

7. push the "up" button under the "XMP" button  to change multiple files exif contents

--> error "List Index Out of Bound (0)"

I use the above procedure to identify manual old lenses, so I do it every now so often.

BogdanH

Hi,
I can repeat that here now. I knew at once what to look for, after reading your "..(now for some reason the file selection is gone)" -but editing options (i.e. "up" keys) haven't become disabled!

It happens, if menu Options>Autorefresh non-Standard file Details is checked, and at the same time, files view ("Details:" button) is not set to Standard. Btw. it concerns all (not only DNG) files.

What you can do right now (to avoid error pop-up):
1. You can set to Details: Standard filelist view -but you won't see metadata in filelist view.
2. You can uncheck menu Opions>Autorefresh.. -you'll see metadata in filelist view, but content won't be updated.
-in both cases files will remain selected after metadata modifications.

I'll try to find some solution ASAP. Thank you very much.

Bogdan