Workspace not accessible with meta data language german

Started by afeininger, February 25, 2012, 03:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

afeininger

The new operations with adding tags to workspace with the right mouse click seem only to work with meta data language is english. The mouse dialogue disappears when switching the language to german :-(

BogdanH

Hi,

You can add tags to Workspace via pop-up menu only if Metadata language in Preferences is set to ExifTool standard (short). Let me explain why's that:
German translation for Xmp tag "Rating" is "Bewertung". As expected, you can change that tag by:
exiftool -Xmp:Rating=3 myPhoto.jpg
..but you can NOT do that with:
exiftool -Xmp:Bewertung=3 myPhoto.jpg
..because tag "Bewertung" doesn't really exist -it's just a translation for viewing. That is, there would be no use, if GUI would allow copying "Bewertung" into Workspace.
Anyway, after english (ExifTool standard) tag is copied into Workspace, you can change it's name as you like by using Workspace manager.

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

Hi Bogdan,

One way around this would be for ExifToolGUI to use the -X -l output, which returns both tag name and localized description.  There may be other advantages to using this output too, although it would require you to parse the XML at your end.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BogdanH

Hi Phil,

I just tried what you're suggesting now and at first sight it seems to be THE solution. I'm not sure about parsing yet  :-\

We talked about this a while ago and at that time you've suggested I should try using -list option and make internal look-up translations table or something similar (I've forgot details). And for whatever reason, I somehow didn't like that approach .. maybe I should re-check that again.

Ok, time to make our German friends happy  :)

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

Hi Bodan,

Thanks for considering this.  It will also make english people like me happy if I want to see the descriptions instead of tag names.

Parsing the full -listX database is daunting, and would be a lot of work:  It would be slow, so you would want to maintain a local version.

However, I think you can achieve what we need here with the -X -l output, which should be a lot easier.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BogdanH

I just tried with -X -l option. Right now it is possible to add tags to Workspace and it will probably also be possible to add them to Custom view... so far so good. Such things aren't time critical, so I can affort reading metadata twice and user won't notice a thing.
But I see no way how to "colorize" Metadata list (green background for tags allready defined in Workspace and red text color for marked tags).
If GUI would allready (by default) read and parse metadata by using -X -l option, then... but it doesn't... not GUIv5...

Added: As it is, moving tag to Custom view won't go smooth, because inside ini file, different structure is required for this entry to work -that is, right now, space character can't be used inside tag name. I could change that, but this would cause loss of existing Custom tags....
Added: My brains reached normal temperature again, so: forget above (Added) paragraph -I'll be back tomorrow.

Bogdan

BogdanH

Ok... I somehow managed language stuff. Moving tags (to Workspace, to Custom view and to User defined Filelist columns) is now possible regardless of selected language. But I must say, that I'm not particulary proud on resulting code (some parts there look like perl). I can only hope there isn't some bug... because in a month or two.. :o

As mentioned in prevoius post, tags are "colorized" only if "ExifTool standard (short)" language is used and because of that, only in this case pop-up menu "Mark/Unmark tag" is visible.

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

Ewww.... Perl. :P

What's happening in a month or two?

- Phil

BogdanH

Quote from: Phil Harvey on February 26, 2012, 08:33:49 AM
Ewww.... Perl. :P

What's happening in a month or two?
Well, in a month or two I probably won't be able to understand my (supposed to be Pascal) code anymore  ;D

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

Quote from: BogdanH on February 26, 2012, 08:41:34 AM
Well, in a month or two I probably won't be able to understand my (supposed to be Pascal) code anymore  ;D

Ha!  I have that problem too!!  To help with this, I use LOTS of comments in the code... :)

- Phil

afeininger

Hi,

thank you for the quick changes, but: it seems not to work with IPTC tags (I tried Caption-Abstract, Headline, Credit, Keywords), when language ist set to german...

BogdanH

Hi,

Oh Man... I see. And it's happening on all views (Exif, Xmp, Iptc). How could I not notice this?! How embarrassing  :-[

I will come back soon...

Bogdan

BogdanH