Main Menu

Preselected tags?

Started by afeininger, February 25, 2012, 03:04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

afeininger

Hi,

I really was frustrated when I saw that the new version doesn't work immediately.

Perhaps it's a progress to configure all tags I want, but: Could there be a kind of plugin with preselected tags, with a preconfigured workplace that contains all tags from the old 4.27 version for those users who just want to tag a picture without spending hours with programming the new version to do the old job??

BogdanH

Hi,

I'm not sure if I understad correctly... In v4.27, you were using predefined [ ^ ] panels for tagging your photos and now you wish to continue using/edit the same tags in v5?

If that's the case, then this can be done (I would say) in less than ten minutes:
-in GUIv5, remove all tags in Workspace you don't wish to use (say, all "About photo" tags)
-now select one of files where v4.27 was used for editing metadata,
-choose desired view: Exif, Xmp or Iptc (depends on panel you were using in v4.27)
-find desired tags and add them to Workspace by right-click on each tag.
That's it.

I could make a file containing all tags used in [ ^ ] panels, but who am I to say what tags you must use? That's one of the reasons why I decided to remove [ ^] panels: you decide what tags you wish to edit!
If customizing Workspace content according to your needs is still a problem for you, then come back and I will try to help you -just be more specific, please  :)

Bogdan

afeininger

Let me give an ironic answer: How can I know what I want when I don't see what is possible?

If I want to see all tags from 4.27, I can perhaps do the adding as you described it - but I have to do it each time I install a new version...

Phil Harvey

This is something I thought about too.  Maybe v5 should start up with all of the tags from v4 already defined in the workspace?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BogdanH

Hi Phil (& afeininger),

I always felt it is wrong that I decide what tags user should use. That's the reason why I wrote Where and what to save article. In this article, one can recognize, that I'm "favorizing" Xmp IptcExt for storing locations tags -even these tags are probably not recognized i.e. by Adobe software(!?).
The point is, I'm not sure, if tags I have choosed in GUIv4, are "the right" tags. And I was hoping, that in GUIv5, users would become less dependant on what I prefer.

@afeininger
No, you don't need to repeat this process each time new GUI version is available. All tags defined in Workspace are saved into ini file. When (new version of) GUI starts, it first checks if ini file is present and if it is, it will read data from there.
Anyway, if you still have problems, I'm ready to make a file, which will contain all tags defined in v4.27. Let me know.

Bogdan

afeininger

Ok, thank you for the help. For my own part, I would really like a workplace that starts with all traditional tags...

BogdanH

Hi,

First I need correct a bug you just pointed out! Then I'll prepare something in this regard.

Bogdan

BogdanH

Here's a file attached, containing all tags that are editable via ^Exif, ^Xmp and ^Iptc panel in v4.27.
Open this file (unzip first, of course) in GUIv5 and use Exif, Xmp and Iptc button to see particular section. There, select the tags you used in v4.27 and move them to Workspace. Hopefully you won't say you needed to move all 63 tags  ???

Bogdan

afeininger

Thank you very much  :)

No, not all 63... but this large number can tell you how difficult it is for me to select the right tags... too many decisions to take, and in my case this often ends in the decision NOT to tag anything :-(

BogdanH

Hi,
I understand. In the article I've mentioned above, there I have emphasized few times, not to start populating "all what's possible", because it's a dead end -there must be some time left for taking photos  :)

Bogdan