Include subdirectories for Import Metadata into Selected

Started by brettphoto, March 08, 2012, 08:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettphoto

Hi Bogdan, I have just discovered your GUI tool, specifically the Import Metadata into Selected > tif or jpeg command, which seems to be the holy grail answer to all of my problems. I need to copy from DNG to my tiff and jpeg copies, and this is great because it's so simple and it seems to include all of the metadata at once, which is what I want. So, thank you!

For me the big question is, is it possible to act on sub-directories? My directory structure in general is

source:
c:/photos/dng/subdir1, subdir2, subdir3, etc.

destination:
c:/photos/tif/subdir1, subdir2, subdir3, etc.

I have so many subdirectories (all of the subdir names and filenames correspond)  it would save hours to be able to include them

BogdanH

Hi,

I'm sorry, in normal use (via Workspace or menu options), you can't modify files in subdirectories (I believe to have I reason why I made it that way).
You can do that in GUI only by using ExifTool direct panel. The command you need to enter goes like this:
-TagsFromFile c:\photos\dng\%f.dng -All:All --Makernotes -r -ext tif c:\photos\tif\

Explanation:
c:\photos\dng\%f.dng -source files
-All:All -copy all metadata
--Makernotes -don't copy Makernotes (if you wish to exclude that metadata)
-r -include subdirectories (recursive)
-ext tif -modify tif files only
c:\photos\tif\ -destination directory

Important:
1. I haven't tried above command, so tryout on small amount of spare files first! -or better: wait for Phil's confirmation.
2. When -r option is used, make sure, that NO file is selected in Filelist!

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

Sorry for not responding earlier.  This gets a bit tricky, but I think you can do what you want with this in exiftool direct:

-TagsFromFile c:\photos\dng\%.14d%f.dng -All:All --Makernotes -r -ext tif c:\photos\tif

The %.14d represents the directory name of the tif image without the first 14 characters (ie. with "c:\photos\tif\" removed).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).