ExifToolGUI 5.06 hangs when file selected

Started by iratemonkey, March 01, 2012, 02:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iratemonkey

Hello,

When I run ExifToolGUI version 5.06 the program hangs indefinitely when i select any jpg from the file list. Do you have any idea why this could be?

I am using Windows 7 32 bit, and have ExifTool 8.56 in the C:\windows directory, and also tried it in the ExifToolGUI folder.  I also had the same problem when i tried ExifToolGUI 5.3 earlier.

Thanks a lot

Sam

BogdanH

Hi Sam,

I really have no idea why this happens. But we can go few things thru, so questions:
1. Just to be sure: this only happens with jpg files?
2. Is everything ok with other image files, i.e. bmp or tif?
3. When program hangs, does mouse have "busy circle" cursor or is mouse cursor normal arrow?
4. Run GUI (select no jpg file yet), click ALL button on Metadata panel and now select jpg file. Question: is Metadata panel populated with values (and now GUI hangs) or does Metadata panel remain empty?
5. In case metadata is populated in step 4 above: is preview image shown (and GUI is hanging) or is preview panel empty?
6. When you start GUI (no file selected) and open Windows Task manager (Processes tab), the following GUI related files should be listed only once each:
- ExifToolGUI.exe ~8.6MB
- exiftool.exe ~730kB
- exiftool.exe ~13.6MB
7. Do you use any antivirus software? Try to turn it off before running GUI.

Here my questions/ideas ends... let me know anyway.

Bogdan

iratemonkey

Hi Bogdan,

Thanks for your suggestions.  In answer to your questions:
1. and 2. I just tried it with .bmp and .tif files too and i have the same problem with those file types also.
3. When it hangs the mouse displays the busy circle
4. and 5. When i do this the program hangs as soon as I select an image file.  No preview or metadata is displayed.
6. I get multiple entries for exiftool.exe.  The following is displayed:

Image name                 Memory       Description
exiftool.exe                  13,372 K      exiftool
exiftool.exe                  560 K           Read and Write meta information
exiftool.exe                  13,464 K      exiftool
exiftool.exe                  13,380 K      exiftool
ExifTooolGIO.exe          5,940 K       GUI for ExifTool

7. Yes I use Microsoft Security Essentials.

Do you have any more ideas?

Thanks a lot

Sam

iratemonkey

I forgot to mention that I tried disabling my antivirus software but this did not solve the problem.

Sam

BogdanH

Hi Sam,

No, MS Antivirus siftware sgouldn't cause this -I just mentioned this in case some 3rd party antivirus would be used.

Let's try some more things.. When GUI is not running, open TaskManager>Processes and if there are any "exiftool.exe" entries, delete them (right click on each and use "End Process"). Btw. you shoud do that each time after GUI hangs.

Create new directory in root directory of C drive, for example:
C:\MyTest
..and move one jpg file into it.

1. Run GUI and Browse to C:\MyTest directory (but don't select any file yet). Click on ExifTool direct and write the following command there:
-ver
..and confirm with enter key. In status bar just below Command line, ExifTool's version number should appear (you can see this also if Show Log window button is used after command is executed). I don't expect GUI will hang when you execute above command, but I just wish to be sure.

2. Don't select any file. Click on Details: button (which now becomes "deselected"). Now, in Filelist, thumbnail should be shown instantly. Does this happen? If yes, then click on Details: button again (so you see standard filelist again).

3. Don't select any file. On Filelist panel, change Details view in drop-down list from Standard filelist to Camera settings. Now, in Filelist, few columns containing Exif metadata of your jpg file should appear. Does that happen? Yes, I suppose...

4. Don't select any file. Now change Details view from Camera settings to User defined. From what you described, I expect, GUI could hang now. But if it doesn't hang, then try to select that single jpg file now.

Btw. I recomment placing ExifToolGUI.exe outside Windows system directories. I.e. if you use GUI from Windows directory, then you need to run it as Administrator -otherwise GUI settings won't be saved on closing GUI.
That is, especially as long this hang issue isn't solved, create new directory on C drive, i.e.:
C:\ETGUI
..and save GUI there. On the other hand, the best place for exiftool.exe is C:\Windows directory.

As you can see, I still have no idea -just trying to eliminate things.

Bogdan

iratemonkey

Hi Bogdan,

I have just managed to get access to a better internet connection so was able to download the new version of ExifTool (8.80), and ExifToolGUI now seems to be working fine. 

Thanks for your help!

Sam

BogdanH

Hi Sam,

Thank you very much for confirming everything is fine now.

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

What ExifTool version were you running?

ExifToolGUI 5 requires ExifTool version 8.36 or later since that was when the -stay_open feature was added.

- Phil

Edit:  In your first post I see you mentioned ExifTool version 8.56.  I don't see why that version shouldn't work, unless there was a problem with the installation.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

iratemonkey

Hi Phil and Bogdan,

Yes I was originally using ExifTool 8.56 with ExifToolGUI5.6.  ExifTool 8.56 worked fine on its own, I have been using it for months to move the date taken to the date exif field for my Reconyx Hyperfire HC500 camera traps.  So I don't think it was a problem with the installation.

I also tried using this combination of these versions of the GUI with ExifTool on another computer (this time running 64-bit windows 7) and had the same problem.

After updating ExifTool everything is working fine. I have no idea why, but Im glad it is sorted.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Sam

RegRage

Hi! I have the same problem with Sam, I think. Whenever I click a photo, it hangs and no metadata is shown at all.. I tried what was suggest but still no luck. Whenever I try to close the program it would constantly give me errors so I can only close it using the task manager.. The most common error I get is "invalid pointer manager". I don't know what else to do. I'm using the latest versions of Exiftool (8.85) and Exif GIU (5.09) I think.
I also got this error:" Access violation at adress 40000000. Read of adress 40000000." when I tried closing the program. This comes after "invalid pointer manager."

and oh by the way, when I tried doing this:
"1. Run GUI and Browse to C:\MyTest directory (but don't select any file yet). Click on ExifTool direct and write the following command there:
-ver"

there would be ping sound when I pressed enter and nothing happens..

-Reg

So it loaded after quite some time but only this appears. I tried it on a cr2 file but this time it hangs too..
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/exiff.png/

Phil Harvey

Does exiftool run OK from the command line?  (try "exiftool -ver" in a cmd.exe window)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

RegRage

Phil Harvey

OK then.  You should be able to fix this by unintalling exiftool, deleting its temporary files (in a directory like "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp"), then re-installing.

- Phil

RegRage

Thank you! It's working perfectly fine now! :D

-Reg