Erasing Keywords (Last check please)

Started by JanK, June 24, 2012, 02:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JanK

Hi!

My old pictures where organized by Adobe Bridge. Bad Software which is changing the original file. Now I will organize all my pictures with Apple Aperture (This is not touching the originals).

I gave my pictures some Keywords in Bridge which are written in the Metadata. But before importing this in Aperture I will erase all the Keywords created by Bridge. But I don't know if there are some other data that can make some conflicts.

I would erase these tags. Other opinions?

• XMP-lr:HierarchicalSubject (Personen|Hans Mustermann)
  • XMP-dc:Subject (Hans Mustermann)
  • IPTC:Keywords(Hans Mustermann)
Should I erase some other tags? Or which tags can I delete maybe created by Bridge?
-Mac OSX Mountain Lion-

Phil Harvey

If you want to get rid of everything added by Bridge, you could do this to erase all IPTC and XMP:

exiftool -iptc:all= -xmp:all= FILE

Luckily it looks like Bridge didn't mess with the EXIF because things look good there as far as I can tell.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

JanK

I take a look at all my different pictures and found out that pictures have no IPTC or XMP tag if they were not edited by "Bridge".
Seems that these tags will not integrate by camera Makers and I will not delete any original data if I get rid of all IPTC and XMP tags.

Do you know a camera which have IPTC or XMP tags by default?

What will happen if I use this code on pictures which has no IPTC or XMP tag?

Maybe the team of Bridge know how to use exif. But the program change the original file and that is not the best way for organizing pictures. By default Aperture will not change the original file. You can use read only files as well with Aperture.
-Mac OSX Mountain Lion-

Phil Harvey

To my knowledge, no cameras currently write IPTC, and most don't write XMP.  Canon is the only make I know that writes XMP, and it only writes the XMP:Rating tag, nothing else.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).