Main Menu

ExifToolGUI "stuck"

Started by Bergel, September 14, 2012, 04:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bergel

Hi everybody,

when searching for a solution to my ExifToolGUI problem, I came across this forum.

I've been using exiftool for a couple of years now (thanks a lot for this useful tool!) and recently happened to find out that there is a GUI for it. I installed it but have a problem running it. It starts up well and allows me to navigate etc. but as soon as I single-click on a file, the little turning circle shows up and nothing happens anymore. Task manager shows a process for ExifToolGUI and two processes called exiftool.exe, neither of which is consuming CPU time. Windows "Problem Details" says "Problem Event Name: AppHangB1".

"Exiftool direct" from the GUI works.

I am running Vista 32 bit, exiftool stand-alone version 8.61 and ExifTool GUI version 5.14.

Any idea?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Greetings,
Bergel

Phil Harvey

Sounds like ExifToolGUI can't find exiftool.  "exiftool.exe" must be somewhere in your PATH.  The recommended location is your WINDOWS directory.  See the Requirements and preparations section of the ExifToolGUI documentation.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Bergel

The location of exiftool.exe is in the PATH variable. And if ExifToolGUI couldn't find exiftool.exe, I wouldn't see exiftool.exe processes, and "Exiftool direct" wouldn't work, either, would it?

But just to make sure, I copied exiftool.exe to C:\Windows. Unfortunately, the results are the same...

Additional information: "Chart" in the middle window works. Even on a directory with more than 1000 files. But when I'm in "Filelist", as soon as I left-click a file -- any file -- , the application hangs.

Bergel

Some more information:

When I left-click on a file in the middle window, the formerly greyed-out menu entries "Export/Import", "Modify", and "Various" become black, and the window title changes to "ExifToolGUI - <filename>". And, a short while thereafter, to "ExifToolGUI - <filename> (Not Responding)".

More information: Middle window, no file selected. "Camera settings": works. "Location info": works. "About photo": works. "User defined": hangs.

Bergel

Is it possible that it misses (or can't access) some file with user-specific information? When I go to Program / Preferences, it also hangs.

Phil Harvey

Does exiftool work properly in a cmd.exe window?  Run "cmd" from the windows start menu, then type "exiftool -ver" and press RETURN.  If it does work, then I'm about out of ideas.  If it doesn't, follow these instructions to un-install, then re-install exiftool.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Bergel

Yes. Works perfectly. Always has :-)
(gives "8.61" in this case)

Bergel

May I ask: Where are the "User defined" filelist information and the "Preferences" stored?

Bergel

Ok, it's solved (even though I have no idea what was wrong).

In a different thread (from March 7, 2012), user iratemonkey seemed to experience exactly the same problems. I did what solved them for him, i.e. downloaded the newest exiftool version (9.02), and now it works perfectly.

Phil, thanks again for a great tool and your attempt to solve my problems here!

Best wishes,
Bergel

Phil Harvey

I'm glad you solve it.

In hindsight, this makes sense, and I should have suggested updating ExifTool.  ExifToolGUI version 5.x uses a new -stay_open feature that was added relatively recently (well, OK, 2 years ago).  Although this was added in ExifTool 8.36, there were improvements to this functionality as recently as 8.74 -- perhaps one of these fixed this problem.

- Phil