any possibility to disable "shrinking" etc.?

Started by comp3v, January 26, 2013, 07:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comp3v

Hello,
after reading the topic about "changes filesize" and corresponding section of FAQ - I was just wondering if there is any possibility to turn off this "optimization" made by ExifTool? I understand that your way of writing data is considered to be more correct, but it would be still great to make an option of keeping original layout. (I mean, sometimes it is not very convenient that simple time adjustment leads to significant changes of image header; in my case, I am using some homemade soft to process images and such changes make it to think that new file is totally different from the original...)
Thanks in advance!

Phil Harvey

Sorry, there is no way to turn this off.  It would require a completely different algorithm which would have significant limitations (wouldn't be able to add new information or change existing information if the new value is longer than the existing value).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).