Main Menu

IPad pictures upside down

Started by Heythere, January 20, 2012, 11:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heythere

Hi! I havé just registered so i am not sure if i use thé right forum for m'y question.
If i send by email pictures taken with my IPad, the recipients are receiving them upside down.
Them either have Windows XP or 7, no difference. Does it havé something to do with the
way i take the picture or thé recipient's software?

Thanks for tour answers.

Phil Harvey

My guess would be that the software being used to display these images doesn't honour the EXIF Orientation setting.  I know that Internet Explorer doesn't for example, but I don't know about other Windows software.

If this is the problem, then ExifTool GUI v4 has a lossless autorotate feature that could solve this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

JanK

I would say that your recipients use the Windows Explorer. This "wonderfull work from Microsoft" Haha! doesn't  honour the Orientation tag as well. So everything is fine with your pictures but not with this **** software from Microsoft. Phil told you a way to do extra work so that your friends with this stupid system can see your pictures in the right orientation.
-Mac OSX Mountain Lion-

Heythere

Many thanks Phil and Jank: i think i have found the answer to my problem. In a sense you are right, the Windows OS Is part of the problem but Apple has also its share.
I have found that if you want to send à picture from your IPad to someone using Windows OS you HAVE to orient your IPad with the HOME button on the right side only. That way the recipient will recive it with the proper orientation, and apparently this would be only with the latest software OS 5. I have not checked this last info as i use only OS 5.
Thanks again :)

JanK

Yes this is right and all what you see is completly done right by Apple.

The only way you will see a picture taken by a normal camera in the right orientation on Windows Explorer is to take the picture in landscape with the upper site of the camera to the sky. This is the Saved as Orientation:Horizontal and the picture is saved for example in 6000x3000. When you rotate the camera in portrait the picture is also saved in 6000x3000 but the orientation is saved as Orientation:90CW or as Orientation:270CW. So with this you need a software that respect the Orientation tag and rotates the picture in the right orientation.

Same effect of your camera happen to your iPad. They have to define one rotation as the horizontal orientation. And this is when you have the Home Button on the right side. All other rotation are recognized by the Orientation tag and you have to use a software which use this information for doing a right rotation of the image. Windows Explorer does not but Finder does. So this will happen to all iOS because with Home right it is the only way to have a picture where the orientation tag is similar as the physical picture.

P.S When you have the HomeButton on the left side you could think that you also take a landscape picture. But same as your camera you take a landscape picture that is upside down and this should been saved as Rotation:180CW But not all cameras respect this rotation because it is a non ergonomic handling of your camera and the rotation sensor in your camera is not build for this. I don't know if the iPad stores 180CW but I think so. It has many sensors so it have the ability.
-Mac OSX Mountain Lion-

edwinlim

Maybe the recipients device does not allow orientation, Have you tried fixing before sending it to them?
Laurie Baars - personalized ipad cases designer and artist