The System Cannot Find the File Specified

Started by WSC3, April 12, 2013, 02:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WSC3

I tried the command line option

exiftool "-iptc:ObjectName<filename" -overwrite_original *.*

to copy my photo's file name into my photo's IPTC ObjectName metadata field.

I got back the error message in the title,  "The System Cannot Find the File Specified".

I used a test folder in "E:\zip".  I have the file exiftool in the Windows folder and I even placed another copy of this executable in the E:\Zip folder too, along with several test photos.

What am I missing?

Thx.

(This command line option is from the Photo Shack web page "http://www.applgasm-apps.com/Blog/?p=499")

Phil Harvey

That is a system error message.  I don't really know what it means.  If you just type "exiftool" with no arguments, do you get the exiftool help documentation?  If so, then it is the "*.*" that is the trouble.  Try "dir *.* to see what it gives.  Are there any funny characters in the file names?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: WSC3 on April 12, 2013, 02:59:12 PM
exiftool "-iptc:ObjectName<filename" -overwrite_original *.*

The problem is your quotes.  Try using regular quotes " rather than fancy quotes.

Edit: fancy " " vs regular " "
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

WSC3

Yes, I get the documentation.  It was the fancy quotes.  That worked!  Now, how do I see the ObjectName field to see that the file name transferred there?

thanks so much!!

Phil Harvey

Nice catch stargeek. :)

Use this command to read back the ObjectName:

exiftool -objectname *.*

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).